Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, Okay, I have a copy of FreeBSD 5.3 that I would like to try. I have a couple of concerns though. 1) What are the differences in device ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux to FreeBSD 5.3

Hi everyone,

Okay, I have a copy of FreeBSD 5.3 that I would like to try. I have a couple of concerns though.

1) What are the differences in device names during the install (if any) so I make sure not to format my Windows partition (which must absolutely not be touched!)?
    2) Am I looking at a major difference in usage so that someone like me (being an average Linux user) will notice? I get the impression there isn't but I would like to make sure.
    3) What kind of hardware support does FreeBSD 5.3 have? Will I have some considerable configuration to do (which won't be a problem if it is like Linux)?

Thanks in advance,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    Differences in usage? Not many...you just need to get used to. Hardware it supports? I don't know..The only thing that I can tell you is do the install with the handbook, print the install section if you don't have a computer around to read it..the partitioning part is the worst.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Linux Newbie

Re: Linux to FreeBSD 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    1) What are the differences in device names during the install (if any) so I make sure not to format my Windows partition (which must absolutely not be touched!)?
    Your hard disk will be ad[n]s[p] (in linux it's like hd[l][p]). So you have ad0s1 for your first partition on your primary IDE hard drive, ad0s2, etc. The nice menu-driven installer and partitioning tool will make all this really easy, and you won't have to worry too much about device names.

2) Am I looking at a major difference in usage so that someone like me (being an average Linux user) will notice? I get the impression there isn't but I would like to make sure.
    Setup and administration is a little bit different. You'll need to at least learn how to get around with sysinstall and use the package tools (ports helps). Once you've got everything you want installed and the system is configured, you'll be working in an environment almost identical to what linux provides.

3) What kind of hardware support does FreeBSD 5.3 have? Will I have some considerable configuration to do (which won't be a problem if it is like Linux)?
    FreeBSD has good hardware support for i386 machines. In my experience linux supports more devices, but FreeBSD puts heavy focus on common hardware--everything should work fine unless you have some particularly tricky or obscure device. The FreeBSD pretty much configures hardware itself (like the linux kernel) provided support is in the kernel (GENERIC has support for just about everything, which you'll want to recompile later). Additional setup is required for just a few things, most notably X (I have anger towards the FreeBSD X configuration tool, so I make X configure itself and edit the config file). sysinstall will do most everything for you.

I like FreeBSD.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close