Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am trying to install PCBSD but I am having problem with the burning. First of all the download should be 597MB, or at least this is what the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PCBSD problem...

Hello, I am trying to install PCBSD but I am having problem with the burning.
    First of all the download should be 597MB, or at least this is what the mirror says. But when I finish the download the size is 584MB. However, after checking the MD5 I noticied that the firm match! So I went for the burning anyway... the .iso doesn't go over the 500MB. I know that the burner is fine, because I have burned other distros.
    What the problem coul be?
    Thanks

Are you burning the ISO as an image? Does the burned CD boot? As long as the checksum of the ISO matches the checksum on the server, I wouldn't worry about the size difference.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Are you burning the ISO as an image? Does the burned CD boot? As long as the checksum of the ISO matches the checksum on the server, I wouldn't worry about the size difference.
    Yes burned as image, and yes... the cd is able to boot, but not all the way to KDE. It stops after few seconds from boot.

I am running Simplymepis 3.3.1-1 kernel 2.6.9 and K3B.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by melopll
    Yes burned as image, and yes... the cd is able to boot, but not all the way to KDE. It stops after few seconds from boot.

Ok. I'm confused. Have you installed PC-BSD from the CD and it's not booting or are you trying to boot from the CD and the installer is freezing? As far as I know, PC-BSD doesn't have a LiveCD option...
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    during pcbsd's graphical install it looks and acts like a live cd, thus you see it running through a gui...so does it install and not reboot into kde?
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by melopll

Ok. I'm confused. Have you installed PC-BSD from the CD and it's not booting or are you trying to boot from the CD and the installer is freezing? As far as I know, PC-BSD doesn't have a LiveCD option...
    Sorry, I tought it had.

So yes, it is just booting but it's not able to start the installation.
    I believe the problem is related to the burning, like You said if the MD5 macth than the download is fine... correct? But what is wrong?
    I have tried with PCLinuxOS as well... same result.

Just Joined!
    I am sorry... it seems that is my Opto burner the cause... sorry. It seems that it just died. I'll keep You posted.