Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got a Toshiba Satellite P10-873 with the following spec: P4 3.2GHz HyperThreading 512Mb DDR ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 Pro 60GB HDD Synaptics Touchpad Lots more I can't think of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

5.4 bootonly.iso hangs on boot

I've got a Toshiba Satellite P10-873 with the following spec:

P4 3.2GHz HyperThreading
    512Mb DDR
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 Pro
    60GB HDD
    Synaptics Touchpad
    Lots more I can't think of right now

I've never used BSD before and want to install it over my Linux partition to try it out. I've downloaded and burned the 5.4 bootonly.iso but can't get it to boot. I get the menu with the ASCII daemon and let the countdown time out, but then it hangs when it tries to boot the kernel.

I've tried the ACPI Off and Safe Mode options but the same thing happens. I don't have an option in my BIOS to turn off ACPI, but I can turn off HyperThreading (though I haven't tried this yet). Would this make a difference? Or is there something else I've overlooked?

I have verified that the CD is ok by booting it under VMWare and it boots to the installer fine.

Many thanks
    Mark

Have you verified that the CD boots on another machine? Also, what output do you get when you select the kernel?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Hi sarumont

Before posting I tested the disc under VMWare and it booted fine. After your reply I tested in my company laptop (a Dell) and it also booted fine. So it would appear to be some kind of incompatiblility with my laptop. I have tried disabling HyperThreading in the BIOS but this made no difference.

I don't get any output from the kernel. After selecting the option in the menu (Normal, ACPI off or safe mode) I get a little spinning star which then stops spinning after a second or two leaving a "|" on the screen and a flashing cursor underneath it. Other than the flashing cursor the machine is then frozen. Caps lock doesn't even work on the keyboard. I can't ctrl-alt-del, I have to hold the power button in to power off.

Linux Newbie
    Sounds like the processor was caught in an endless loop.

The FreeBSD handbook only mentions something about updating the BIOS if encounters installation problem. Then it says do it at your own risk ....

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by junkman4547
    Sounds like the processor was caught in an endless loop.
    Really? Why would that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by junkman4547
    The FreeBSD handbook only mentions something about updating the BIOS if encounters installation problem. Then it says do it at your own risk ....
    I've just done this as my BIOS was a bit out of date. Still no boot

Linux Newbie
    From my own experiences, when I do a conditional call to a sub routine at a wrong address.... .....the process can not return to the process that calls it. If I'm lucky the program crashes, if not it would be sent to the infinite loop and hang.

I did a quick search into your problem and that's the only thing the handbook mentions. Sorry.

Linux Engineer
    there are known problems with 5.x and hyperthreading.. disable it in the bios and try again.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    I've just tried disabling Hyperthreading in the BIOS and it make no difference. Does 4.11 have these problems? Is it still stable/compatible enough to use? Any idea if it will support the major features of my laptop (i.e. ACPI)

Thanks
    Mark

Linux Newbie
    There's a complete Handbook at FreeBsd website you might want to check out. It covers the Boot Process section that mine doesn't.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info, sadly the section on the handbook you mentioned did not provide an information that helped me to solve this problem. I guess it's back to Linux for me!