Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry for all the questions guys.. But another conflict I'm having is when FreeBSD boot loader loads.. It says F1 for my Linux partition, F2 is ???, and F3 is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

And yet.. Another...

Sorry for all the questions guys.. But another conflict I'm having is when FreeBSD boot loader loads.. It says F1 for my Linux partition, F2 is ???, and F3 is FreeBSD.. It only lets me hit 3 to load BSD. All the other times it beeps.. I'm not sure what to do there either.

Thanks once again

Grant

Just Joined!
    to load linux are you pressing 1 or F1?

Just Joined!
    Either of them.. Neither work.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    In all honesty, the FreeBSD bootloader isn't too good at booting operating systems other than FreeBSD....

Fortunately, it's very easy to get GrUB to boot multiple operating systems. You can either obtain a GrUB boot disk from the GNU GrUB website and install it manually:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

Or use the installation CD for your Linux distribution to reinstall GrUB (or LILO, if that's the case).

It's simply a matter of editing /boot/grub/menu.lst to get FreeBSD to boot from it. There are many tutorials on the web that explain how to do this.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sether
    In all honesty, the FreeBSD bootloader isn't too good at booting operating systems other than FreeBSD....

Fortunately, it's very easy to get GrUB to boot multiple operating systems. You can either obtain a GrUB boot disk from the GNU GrUB website and install it manually:

Or use the installation CD for your Linux distribution to reinstall GrUB (or LILO, if that's the case).

It's simply a matter of editing /boot/grub/menu.lst to get FreeBSD to boot from it. There are many tutorials on the web that explain how to do this.

Sweet, I appreciate it . I'll let ya know if I can figure it out, hehe.

I've had that happen with the freeBSD bootloader too. The ??? I was hoping someone would know what causes that and if possible how to fix it. The bootloader may not be as advanced as GRUB, but it does the job most of the time.
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by killtehchair
    Quote Originally Posted by sether

Sweet, I appreciate it . I'll let ya know if I can figure it out, hehe.
    I just had to do this, albeit in another set of distro's, but the concept was the same, I'm sure. I assume you can, in one distro, mount another. If so, find the menu.lst of the other(s) and copy the booting part of it and paste it into a section of your menu.lst of the distro you're in. Restart and you should be able to open either. I'm sure it'll work on multiple distro's.

Linux Engineer
    actually, booting fbsd from grub is a bit different than booting a linux distro.. this is what the section should look like:

Code:
    rootnoverify (hdX,Y,Z)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    (you might not need the 'boot' statement.. it's been a while since i've worked with grub.)

X==hard drive number
    Y=slice number
    Z=bsd partition letter
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr