Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Okay, I've done damned near everything I can think of and everything everyone has suggested here for me to try and get my burner to work. I was trying to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Still more burning woes...

Okay, I've done damned near everything I can think of and everything everyone has suggested here for me to try and get my burner to work. I was trying to get k3b to find my burner and I saw a note that mentioned that I might need to to modify the permissions to give k3b write access to all devices.. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to do that?

Once again, help is greatly appreciated

Grant

You probably need to edit your /etc/group file and give yourself permission to audio and your cdrom and such.. that's all I can really think of.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Linux Engineer
    read /usr/ports/sysutils/k3b/pkg-message
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Well, I got it working if I'm assuming root through a console, still can't figure it out if I'm just as a regular user... Got a little further than I was, though

Thanks again

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by killtehchair
    Well, I got it working if I'm assuming root through a console, still can't figure it out if I'm just as a regular user... Got a little further than I was, though

Thanks again

Grant

Using root to do everyday activities such as using K3B = bad

You will know if you are root if there is a # sign at in the terminal. A $ means you are a regular user depending on what shell you use. If you use zsh then it's a % but for root it is universal: #
    Registered Linux user #393103

Just Joined!

Re: Still more burning woes...

Okay, I've done damned near everything I can think of and everything everyone has suggested here for me to try and get my burner to work. I was trying to get k3b to find my burner and I saw a note that mentioned that I might need to to modify the permissions to give k3b write access to all devices.. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to do that?

Once again, help is greatly appreciated

Grant
    The FreeBSD GENERIC kernel does not support SCSI emulation aka CD or DVD Burning/Playback (some people dont need it and dont have the problem, others do though, like me), You need to recompile/compile a kernel with atapicam enabled.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...nelconfig.html

The handbook explains this very well.

Just Joined!
    Already made a custom kernel and added that in there.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison

Thanks again

Grant

Using root to do everyday activities such as using K3B = bad

You will know if you are root if there is a # sign at in the terminal. A $ means you are a regular user depending on what shell you use. If you use zsh then it's a % but for root it is universal: #
    I'm using bash.. I know that a # means root, the only thing I'm doing is assuming root logged in as a user for the means of a screen.. It sucks, but it's the only thing I can think of right now. I don't log into X-windows as root

Linux Engineer
    i read /usr/ports/sysutils/k3b/pkg-message

it has *very* explicit instructions for how to setup k3b for everyday users. read and follow them and it *will* work.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    i read /usr/ports/sysutils/k3b/pkg-message

it has *very* explicit instructions for how to setup k3b for everyday users. read and follow them and it *will* work.

I read that too, and I could do everything except. I never figured that out.

l pass through devices connected with CD and DVD drives and to the
    /dev/xpt0 device. Run 'camcontrol devlist' to identify those devices (seek
    string 'passX' at the end of each line and modify the rights of /dev/passX)$ Note, that this is a security leak as well but that there is no alternative!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast