Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Do you think PC-BSD is a great idea?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 59.09%
  • No

9 40.91%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by sether I have a few issues with PC-BSD: Linux came first as a free software alternative for the desktop. While the idea of a BSD derived operating ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by sether
    I have a few issues with PC-BSD:
    • Linux came first as a free software alternative for the desktop. While the idea of a BSD derived operating system for the desktop is interesting and worth pursuing, I don't see PC-BSD becoming prominent in the desktop market anytime soon. It's not that I have a problem with using BSD as a desktop operating system, it's just that if the free software community wants to pose a challenge to Microsoft's Windows, more effort should be contributed to the already growing Linux movement. BSD is going to continue to stay on servers (where it belongs).
    • The installer is licensed under the GPL. I understand why they had to do this (the issue with Qt licensing), but aren't the GPL and BSD licenses conflicting ideologies?

I know these issues are trivial and not worth arguing about, but I figured I would just bring them up since we were on the topic of PC-BSD criticisms. Other than that, PC-BSD is a great idea.
    I think that *BSD can be good or bad on the desktop, depending on the user, Ive seen people using OpenBSD (yes, openbsd) on their desktops, and damm, it looks good. *BSD needs more tweaking for the desktop, which In turn agrees with what you said, for the average home desktop, Linux is the way to go for challenging Windows.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by !=
    Quote Originally Posted by sether
    I have a few issues with PC-BSD:
    • Linux came first as a free software alternative for the desktop. While the idea of a BSD derived operating system for the desktop is interesting and worth pursuing, I don't see PC-BSD becoming prominent in the desktop market anytime soon. It's not that I have a problem with using BSD as a desktop operating system, it's just that if the free software community wants to pose a challenge to Microsoft's Windows, more effort should be contributed to the already growing Linux movement. BSD is going to continue to stay on servers (where it belongs).
    • The installer is licensed under the GPL. I understand why they had to do this (the issue with Qt licensing), but aren't the GPL and BSD licenses conflicting ideologies?

I know these issues are trivial and not worth arguing about, but I figured I would just bring them up since we were on the topic of PC-BSD criticisms. Other than that, PC-BSD is a great idea.
    I think that *BSD can be good or bad on the desktop, depending on the user, Ive seen people using OpenBSD (yes, openbsd) on their desktops, and damm, it looks good. *BSD needs more tweaking for the desktop, which In turn agrees with what you said, for the average home desktop, Linux is the way to go for challenging Windows.
    Yes, I agree.

A point of clarification: I've used FreeBSD and OpenBSD on my desktop machine for the past 2 years without any issues (other than the fact that I had to do a lot of reading to understand what I was doing :P ). But for an easy-to-use desktop solution, I don't see what's wrong with Linux .

I usually like a bit of choice / friendly rivalry. In this case I have to agree, /bsd does great on servers, we all love it. Linux has been working for the desktop for years now. And most of the GNU / Xorg / Whatever elements for the desktop have really been designed with linux in mind even if they do say for Unix on them.

Linux Newbie
    Oh well, I guess I need to find another box. I really do need to go back and try one of the BSD flavors again.

Is it a concensus that PC-BSD is the most stable distribution. Stability is important to me. Ease of installation is secondary.

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

Linux Engineer
    pc-bsd is a freebsd that has an easy installer, that is quite effective...if ease of installation is not the most important thing to you, then maybe you would like to check out openbsd, which is known for both security and stability
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

The one thing I disliked about PC-BSD 0.7.8 is that a Distro this new doesn't support something as common as an USB mouse. My T40 laptop doesn't have a PS2 or Serial port and I can't stand using the trackpoint.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

Linux Engineer
    one thing: the various BSD's are not 'distros'.. they are fully-fledged OS's based upon the same codebase..

Linux distributions are the same OS with different packages and config styles..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Ok, then you would think that something that was built would already have the USB mouse support in the kernel. I haven't used a PS2 mouse in 3 or 4 years.
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    Ok, then you would think that something that was built would already have the USB mouse support in the kernel. I haven't used a PS2 mouse in 3 or 4 years.
    Well my usb mouse has worked in Free/Net/OpenBSD, so I dont know why it doesnt work in PC-BSD.

It's a MS wireless notebook optical mouse. It's recognized under /dev/uhid0 but not as /dev/ums0.
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast