Find the answer to your Linux question:
How do I configure Gnome to start automatically with FreeBSD 4.11? If it can't start automatically then how can I start it manually? Do I have to start X Window ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Firing up Gnome with FreeBSD

How do I configure Gnome to start automatically with FreeBSD 4.11? If it can't start automatically then how can I start it manually? Do I have to start X Window or whatever first? I chose the "install everything" option so I'm assuming I don't have to install anything else from here? I installed Gnome also, from the post-config section in the install menu.

Just Joined!
    RTFM

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ok/x11-wm.html

you may also want to look into xdm

Linux Engineer
    Like darkprince suggested, look at the FreeBSD Handbook -- this procedure is documented.

It basically boils down to these steps:
    1) Install Gnome and gdm.
    2) Edit /etc/ttys so that ttyv8 is on and using the display manager of your choice (which is most likely gdm).
    3) Select the option "Configure the login manager" from the gdm "Actions" menu and set an automatic login for a user of your choice.

This is the section that will be most helpful:
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ook/x-xdm.html

Just Joined!
    Personally, I login with the CLI, and fire up X with a .xinitrc, it's much less of a hassle if you want to try out new window managers (sometimes gdm doesnt add them to it's session list).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by !=
    Personally, I login with the CLI, and fire up X with a .xinitrc, it's much less of a hassle if you want to try out new window managers (sometimes gdm doesnt add them to it's session list).

Indeed it is, that's what I do.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by !=
    Not to mention the added overhead with using gdm.

Linux Enthusiast
    Thanks, I've been looking forward to seeing how FreeBSD behaves with a graphical shell.