Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
The reason why was trying to tune my system is because with other OSs like CentOS, Fedora, Mandrake, I am able to reach 1400x1050 @ 85mhz 24bit resolution. The default ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The reason why was trying to tune my system is because with other OSs like CentOS, Fedora, Mandrake, I am able to reach 1400x1050 @ 85mhz 24bit resolution. The default value of the horizontalsync is 30.0 - 96.0, the vertrefresh 48.0 - 120.0. When I put those values on XF86Config the screen is only able to work at 1240x1024, if I put another value the screen goes grey.
    I have checked the Xorg file on the other distros I have installed, and the follow exactly the default values.
    What should I do to reach 1400x1050 @ 85mhz? Even 16bit will be fine....
    Thanks

PS. In the BSD community looks like BSD comes with XFree.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by melopll
    The reason why was trying to tune my system is because with other OSs like CentOS, Fedora, Mandrake, I am able to reach 1400x1050 @ 85mhz 24bit resolution. The default value of the horizontalsync is 30.0 - 96.0, the vertrefresh 48.0 - 120.0. When I put those values on XF86Config the screen is only able to work at 1240x1024, if I put another value the screen goes grey.
    I have checked the Xorg file on the other distros I have installed, and the follow exactly the default values.
    What should I do to reach 1400x1050 @ 85mhz? Even 16bit will be fine....
    Thanks

PS. In the BSD community looks like BSD comes with XFree.
    Maybe it's because you're editing /etc/X11/XF86Config rather than /etc/X11/xorg.conf. As mentioned earlier, you are using Xorg, not XFree86. I'm using Xorg on FreeBSD, you're using Xorg on PC-BSD, and practically everyone everywhere using an operating system based on FreeBSD 5.3 or later is using Xorg. I don't know where you were told that "BSD comes with XFree" because there are various derivatives of the Berkeley Software Distribution that use different versions of X11. OpenBSD since version 3.7 has used Xorg as the default, and FreeBSD since 5.3-RELEASE has used Xorg as the default. Unless you go out of your way to install XFree86, you're using Xorg. So edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf, not XF86Config.

You could also try
    Code:
    # xorgcfg -textmode

Linux Newbie
    Sorry for butting in but I have a question I need to ask.

My mouse has a scroll wheel that isn't function at the moment, I've been trying to look for the xorg.conf file so I can edit to add the scroll function. I just can't seem to find the config file.

Any help is truly appreciated.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by junkman4547
    Sorry for butting in but I have a question I need to ask.

My mouse has a scroll wheel that isn't function at the moment, I've been trying to look for the xorg.conf file so I can edit to add the scroll function. I just can't seem to find the config file.

Any help is truly appreciated.
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Linux Newbie
    Thank you for the reply, Sether.

I've tried those and the editor I used just opened up a new file, meaning there's no such file ?

I also tried......

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf-4
    /etc/xorg.conf
    /usr/X11R6/etc/xorg.conf
    /usr/X11R6/etc/X11/xorg.conf

none of them worked.

where could it be ?

Linux Newbie
    I have finally found the elusive xorg.conf file I've been looking for, so I thought I should post it here so the next guy who has the same problem can find it .....

My xorg.conf file locates in....

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf.eg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2