Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1

    How to edit XF86Config file without...


    Hello, I was trying to tune up my system, but I did a mistake on XF86Config file so X server is not working, it starts, but I have just a grey screen. What I have to do to have a console login so that I can edit XF86Config?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: How to edit XF86Config file without...

    Quote Originally Posted by melopll
    Hello, I was trying to tune up my system, but I did a mistake on XF86Config file so X server is not working, it starts, but I have just a grey screen. What I have to do to have a console login so that I can edit XF86Config?

    Thanks
    ctrl+alt+backspace

  3. #3
    I have tried it already... X server reboots itself... then I have the same grey screen.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Ctrl + Alt + F1 will get you to ttyv0.

    Also, XFree86 is deprecated.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sether
    Ctrl + Alt + F1 will get you to ttyv0.

    Also, XFree86 is deprecated.
    I KNOW... looks like XORG is taking over... is it possible to install PC-BSD with XORG, I mean XORG instead of XFree on a fresh install? In a case like mine, since XFree is already installed, will be possible to switch to XORG?

    Thank You.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by sether
    Ctrl + Alt + F1 will get you to ttyv0.

    Also, XFree86 is deprecated.
    XFree86 is not deprecated, alot of people still use it, and it's still very much alive.

    Xorg should be the only version of X on PC-BSD.

  8. #7
    So... is it possible to install/switch to Xorg???

    Thanks

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by melopll
    So... is it possible to install/switch to Xorg???

    Thanks
    Like != suggested, you might already be running Xorg.
    Code:
    $ X -version
    If you are indeed running XFree86 I wouldn't worry about it.

  10. #9
    Code:
    X Window System Version 6.8.2
    Release Date: 9 February 2005
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
    Build Operating System: FreeBSD 5.4 i386 [ELF]
    Current Operating System: FreeBSD PCBSD.localhost 5.4-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p6 #0: Sun Aug 28 20:07:39 UTC 2005     melo@PCBSD.localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
    Build Date: 15 July 2005
            Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
            to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Module Loader present
    This is the result from "X -version"

    Thanks

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by melopll
    Code:
    X Window System Version 6.8.2
    Release Date: 9 February 2005
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
    Build Operating System: FreeBSD 5.4 i386 [ELF]
    Current Operating System: FreeBSD PCBSD.localhost 5.4-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p6 #0: Sun Aug 28 20:07:39 UTC 2005     melo@PCBSD.localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
    Build Date: 15 July 2005
            Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
            to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Module Loader present
    This is the result from "X -version"

    Thanks
    It looks like you're already using Xorg.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •