Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I am trying to install Firefox from ports but I have an error from console that tellin that perl5.X is missing and the /var/db/pkg must checked to see if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Firefox installation is missing perl5.X... possible???

Hello, I am trying to install Firefox from ports but I have an error from console that tellin that perl5.X is missing and the /var/db/pkg must checked to see if perl installation is there or not. After a check I see perl5.6.2_2 and perl5.8.7 into the directory.
    Is there another perl the must be installed for Firefox to complete the installation? Could be something else?

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    Post the exact error message, because it looks like Perl is not a Firefox dependency after looking at freebsd.org/ports.

Just Joined!
    Code:
    checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
    /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libperl.so" not found, required by "perl"
    /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libperl.so" not found, required by "perl"
    configure: error: perl 5.x required for intltool
    ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
    Please direct the output of the failure of the make command to a file, and
    then feed that file to the gnomelogalyzer, available from
    http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/gnomelogalyzer.sh, which will diagnose the problem
    and suggest a solution.  If - and only if - the gnomelogalyzer cannot solve
    the problem, report the problem to the FreeBSD GNOME team at gnome@FreeBSD.org,
    and attach "/usr/ports/textproc/intltool/work/intltool-0.34.1/config.log" and
    the output of the failure of the make command.  Also, it might be a good idea
    to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system (e.g. an `ls
    /var/db/pkg`).
    *** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/intltool.
    *** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/firefox.
    This is the error from: # make install clean

Thank You.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    It looks like you might not be building Firefox directly from www/firefox since you're getting the FreeBSD GNOME team messages after it fails. It usually is a matter of updating your sources through cvsup, rebuilding everything with portupgrade, and trying again. This is basically what you would do:
    Code:
    # cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile /root/ports-supfile
    Edit ports-supfile to grab the sources from a nearby cvsup server.
    Code:
    # cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile
    # portupgrade -aRr
    # cd /usr/ports/www/firefox
    # make install clean

Just Joined!
    The file ports-supfile is already under /root... it's been there since installation.

Code:
    # cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile 
     # portupgrade -aRr 
     # cd /usr/ports/www/firefox 
     # make install clean
    I have laready done the above except # portupgrade -aRr... What's this command for?

My /usr/ports and /usr/src directorys are both been populated... both processes ended sucessefully should I do the process again?

Thank You.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by melopll
    I have laready done the above except # portupgrade -aRr... What's this command for?
    If you're not familiar with what a certain command does, read the manual page.
    Code:
    $ man portupgrade
    As I mentioned earlier, updating your ports tree, updating all installed packages, and trying to install directly from www/firefox is the only way you're going to successfully compile and install Mozilla Firefox.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sether
    Code:
    $ man portupgrade
    As I mentioned earlier, updating your ports tree, updating all installed packages, and trying to install directly from www/firefox is the only way you're going to successfully compile and install Mozilla Firefox.
    This is what I got from # man portupgrade:

Code:
    No manual entry for portupgrade
    If I understood correctly what is missing is running the command # portupgrade -aRr, and everything will be fine. This command will upgrade all the program installed to the latest version, correct? Am I still no time or it is too late?

Thank You.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by sether
    Code:
    $ man portupgrade
    This is what I got from # man portupgrade:

Code:
    No manual entry for portupgrade
    If I understood correctly what is missing is running the command # portupgrade -aRr, and everything will be fine. This command will upgrade all the program installed to the latest version, correct? Am I still no time or it is too late?

Thank You.
    It will upgrade all installed programs and their dependencies.

You might want to install the system manual pages...

Just Joined!
    Is portupgrade a program that must be installed from port? I have found a "makefile" on /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade. Since I have no manual for it I assume that the program is not installed yet on my system. Should I go for a "make install clean" on the directory mentioned above?

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    Is portupgrade a program that must be installed from port? I have found a "makefile" on /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade. Since I have no manual for it I assume that the program is not installed yet on my system. Should I go for a "make install clean" on the directory mentioned above?

Thanks
    Oh yeah, I forgot it's not installed by default. Install it and you'll have the man page.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast