Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by jaboua If you can't login, try getting a FreeSBIE cd, umounting all drives, mounting them into a directory, chrooting, fixing from the inside... I am sorry... not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    If you can't login, try getting a FreeSBIE cd, umounting all drives, mounting them into a directory, chrooting, fixing from the inside...
    I am sorry... not so advanced. I beleive I'll need a little more help on this.
    Thanks

Linux Engineer
    Do you have a freesbie livecd? In that case, you can start up, choose between xfce/fluxbox/pure terminal enviroment (tcsh), IIRC freesbie automounts all recognised drives, so umount the freebsd ones like this:
    Code:
    umount /mnt/ufs.*
    Then you can mount them into their right position, for example like this:
    Code:
    mount /dev/ad0s1a /mnt/ufs.1
    mount /dev/ad0s1d /mnt/ufs.1/var
    mount /dev/ad0s1e /mnt/ufs.1/tmp
    Then you chroot into the enviroment to fix it from the inside:
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/ufs.1
    Then you can fix your problem from the inside, for example by trying reinstalling the kernel.

If you don't have a freesbie livecd, I belive the freebsd installcd does have the ability to drop to console, and follow almost the same procedure (except partitions not needed to be unmounted, and that the mountpoint has to be created ["mkdir /mnt/ufs.1"]).

Just Joined!
    Yes, I have FreeSBIE on CD, so I'll follow your instructions.
    Thanks

PS. could You tell me a little more on how to reinstall the kernel?

Linux Engineer
    You recompile the kernel if the kernel build was faulty (like it may have been when you got that error). Replace the word "KERNELNAME" with the name of your custom kernel. If you don't got any custom kernel config, use "GENERIC".
    Code:
    cd /usr/src
    make buildkernel KERNCONF=KERNELNAME
    make installkernel KERNCONF=KERNELNAME
    I haven't rebuilt world before so I'm not quite sure on this, but you can just follow the handbook.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2