Find the answer to your Linux question:
got my hands on an old laptop and i've put freesbie on it just because it was quick and simple (i'm new to Unix and haven't had much experience with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Freesbie cdrom problem

got my hands on an old laptop and i've put freesbie on it just because it was quick and simple (i'm new to Unix and haven't had much experience with linux). Although it installed from the CD fine, it no longer recognises the CD drive. I've tried mounting it but can't seem to get the right command. Anyone know what i should be typing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Linux Newbie
    Don't know anything about Freesbie.....but for FreeBSD I use

#mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom

hope this help.

Just Joined!
    "thanks junkman, worked perfectly. just wonder why none of the FreeBSD sites i went to made it as easy as that one liner."

forget above.
    after restart i'm back to where i started. drive doesn't work and Junkman's command no longer works. now returns error:

mount_cd9660: dev/acd0: No such file or directory

anyone know what i can do

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade of Black
    "thanks junkman, worked perfectly. just wonder why none of the FreeBSD sites i went to made it as easy as that one liner."

forget above.
    after restart i'm back to where i started. drive doesn't work and Junkman's command no longer works. now returns error:

mount_cd9660: dev/acd0: No such file or directory

anyone know what i can do
    Try "ls /dev" too look if the cdrom is actually noticed by freesbie. Also try "dmesg|grep acd" to see if the splash screen hided some importent info regarding the cdrom.

Just Joined!
    not listed in dev, yet if i run X CD Roast it recognises the drive and as i said it did work briefly after using junkman's tip.