Find the answer to your Linux question:
At the login prompt, the characterset and customized keys works perfectly. But just when logged in, it is messed up. I can't find the cause of this. I have tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    MHJ
    Just Joined!

The Keymap Is Wrong, And I Can't figure out what to do. (FreeBSD)

At the login prompt, the characterset and customized keys works perfectly. But just when logged in, it is messed up. I can't find the cause of this.

I have tried editing /etc/rc.conf, /etc/profile, /etc/login_conf and the rc-files in home directory. Is there any files i have overlooked?

In X it is also messed up in xterm, but not in some other apps, like firefox.

So, does anyone have an idea that could help. Thank you.

Linux Engineer
    Have you tried to configure keymap in sysinstall instead of manually (may require reboot)?

In X it should be some other config for keymap, you should configure in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Linux Engineer
    the keymaps are in /usr/share/syscons/keymaps

read the manpage for kbdcontrol

the X keymap is set in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (again, read the manpage.)
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

MHJ
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    Have you tried to configure keymap in sysinstall instead of manually (may require reboot)?
    The keybord configuration in sysinstall changes only /etc/rc.conf, i think. And I think rc.conf, wich apparently is loaded before login, must be correct since the keymap is good at the login prompt, but just after login it gets odd.

In X it should be some other config for keymap, you should configure in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    It seems to be configured correct. Only in curses-emulated programs, it does not.

the keymaps are in /usr/share/syscons/keymaps
    read the manpage for kbdcontrol
    kbdcontrol, kbdmap and vidfont used with the propper keymaps changes nothing.