Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm about to do an install of FreeBSD 5.4 this coming weekend on a system with Fedora2/winXP already installed. I plan to put the new install on the second harddrive, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Installation questions.

I'm about to do an install of FreeBSD 5.4 this coming weekend on a system with Fedora2/winXP already installed. I plan to put the new install on the second harddrive, sharing that with Fedora.
    What kind of experience have you all had with installation? I recently screwed up an install of Gentoo (got a little too impatient) and I have installed slackware in the past. How does BSD compare in relation to these?
    Any words of advice will be most welcome.

Thanks guys.
    registered linux user: 387197

Just Joined!

Re: Installation questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbaloo
    I'm about to do an install of FreeBSD 5.4 this coming weekend on a system with Fedora2/winXP already installed. I plan to put the new install on the second harddrive, sharing that with Fedora.
    What kind of experience have you all had with installation? I recently screwed up an install of Gentoo (got a little too impatient) and I have installed slackware in the past. How does BSD compare in relation to these?

Thanks guys.
    FreeBSD is IMO easier to install than Gentoo, if you've installed slackware before, you should be ok.

Linux Engineer
    Agree, if you did slackware, you will do freebsd.

However, I reccomand you to check the first parts of the handbook on freebsd.org first, for an exmplementation of slices and partitions etc.

Just Joined!

Re: Installation questions.

Quote Originally Posted by the0r3tic
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbaloo

Thanks guys.
    FreeBSD is IMO easier to install than Gentoo, if you've installed slackware before, you should be ok.
    Indeed, Gentoo is one of the hardest (not necessarily hardest), but most time consuming and in depth Linux install I've done. Soon as I get some free time on my hands, I'm going to install it on my main box.. It's compiling Gnome on my slave box right now.

Linux User
    It wasn't the complexity of the install that screwed me with Gentoo, but after spending the better part of a Sunday installing it I got rushed into finishing up so I could go to a family event. That's when I screwed up.
    I will probably attempt installing it again, but not until I know I am going to have enough time to complete the install properly.
    registered linux user: 387197

Linux Engineer
    It's easy but you can only start over if you mess up; you can't go back :/

Also don't install anything more than base and ports from the CDs, it's outdated by now. Install packages from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/`uname -m`/packages-5-stable/Latest/.

Before using ports, update it with CVSup (see handbook for more).

Linux Enthusiast
    I found freebsd pretty easy to install, i mean, there is a choice if you want to have auto sliced partitions, which i found useful