Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey everyone. I want to partition my NTFS Formatted drive, so it becomes 2 partitions: 1 for NTFS and 1 for freebsd. I want to use Partition Magic to do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help partitioning with partition magic and installing FreeBSD

hey everyone. I want to partition my NTFS Formatted drive, so it becomes 2 partitions: 1 for NTFS and 1 for freebsd. I want to use Partition Magic to do this. Now my question is, when i try to partition the harddrive with partition magic, it can only partition it for Linux. Is there anyway I can change the type of partition so it goes from Linux to UFS? Also, how do I go about installing freebsd in the new partition that i just made?

Linux Engineer
    if you want to use partition magic, then partition but do not make a filesystem, or make it as linux and let the freebsd installer change it to ufs
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    ya i tried that. I used partition magic to make it into a linux partition and then usin the FreeBSD installer, i changed the type to 165 (Freebsd) and set it as bootable. Then i installed the boot manager, and on the disklabel editor screen i typed 'A' for auto default. I told the installer to do a minimal installation from the CD/DVD. Well when it was tryign to install, it gave me write errors (It couldnt write from acd0 or something like that)
    and it didint install probably. So i used the Win XP start up cd to fdisk /mbr. and now when i reboot it says missing operating system. What am i doing wrong?

Linux Engineer
    sounds like you have to set the boot partition back to the one that xp is on...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    ok how bout we take another route. Lets say i keep the harddrive as a full NTFS partition and i reboot the computer using the FreeBSD installation cd. How would I use the FreeBSD installer, to partition the NTFS partition into 2 partitions :NTFS and UFS? Also, how would I go about with slicing the partition, installing the rest of the operating system etc?

warning dont use partition magic if there is grub or lilo or another non windows bootloader on your system without a partition magic recovery partition
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Banned
    Not that I know much about BSD, because I haven't even gotten to install one yet; but can't the installer for BSD just shrink the NTFS partition and and use the newly created space for a UFS partition and swap partition? Why use a third party program for something that can probably be done with the original installer?