Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I don't really know much about gentoo. But I have suspicions that portage is not far off from the ports system. http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml ... Since there wasn't anything going on with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I don't really know much about gentoo. But I have suspicions that portage is not far off from the ports system.

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml

... Since there wasn't anything going on with Gentoo, Daniel switched to FreeBSD. He liked what he saw. Especially the "Ports" system. And he returned to the Linux world. Along with the help of other developers like Achim Gottinger, Gentoo was back on track & charging ahead. The whole package management system was redesigned & called Portage.
    Maybe someone who knows it better can clarify.

With apt it is a preference thing. It feels more awkward to me. And this is perhaps a minor detail but apt is for installing binary packages only, right?

Linux Engineer
    AFAIK Portage was ment as a "improved ports". It basicly does the same, but does it slower, but you utilise it like "emerge packagename" (like you would do with portupgrade, "portinstall packagename"). They both use a /etc/make.conf, but the options are different (for example freebsd has one variable for each USE-flag, while gentoo has one for all).

Also, I thought BSD got rid of all original UNIX code when they opensourced it because of legal reasons?

That is discussed in the wikipedia article I referred to. It's not really clear to me whether all the original code is gone or not. The article is a little ambiguous.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    AFAIK FreeBSD still contains the code of original BSD only the propritory part of AT&T source code have been removed. This is what I read in a book published by O'reilly press. I have no personal experience of Free BSD myself but am looking forward to trying it pretty soon.

Linux Enthusiast
    BSD would make an awesome desktop for someone who was a bit more security concious, on FreeBSD ( I dont know about the others) there is 2 discs, one with a base system and one with packages, which can be added after the base installation has been done, during the installation sequence.

I'm still debating which to use, but in the end it is user preference so, it's up to you what ya want to use.

Just Joined!
    I've just installed FreeBSD 6 and I'm a little disapointed . Being a Gentoo user I expected a bit more . Sure , it was very easy to install and I kinda liked the installed but then I had some problems. For one things FreeBSD insists ( god knows why ) on not using Bash so I had to change to bash ( I used pw to do that as editing config files doesn't seem to work ) .
    Packages are really easy to install so I installed some , including KDE which was wisely put on CD 2 . Didn't like the fact that I couldn't get mc or a decent editor like nano from the install CDs but I got them from the net , put them on a FAT32 partition which I then mounted and the installed nicely .
    My biggest problem though was getting the internet to work as I have to connect using pppoe . Still haven't solved this and because of this my FreeBSD 6 install is quite useless . I read the FreeBSD handbook about pppoe which doesn't really say much and the I read the man on ppp which says much , maybe too much .
    Nothing worked though and then I discovered the biggest problem with FreeBSD , support . There really isn't any . It doesn't have a huge comunity of experienced users like Linux does . There are some people who know FreeBSD and are willing to help but usually if something doesn't work you're pretty mush on your own . You can say whatever you want but FreeBSD users ( and experienced FreeBSD users ) are much harder to find than Linux users . Just check the activity on the forums , it barely matches that of a less known Linux distro .
    I'm sorry to say this but for me FreeBSD looks like Linux's poor cousin . It doesn't get the atention Linux gets and despite all the eforts probably never will . Companies are starting to support Linux but I don't think you'll see FreeBSD support anytime soon .

Linux Newbie
    Mforce2, you might try the BSDs forums on this site......

http://www.bsdforums.org

I hope you'll find the solution to your problem there.

Just Joined!
    wou... I must say that you are too dedicated linux-users. Those things that you called problems some of as thinks they are adventages. Like bash as roots default shell. Never do that in bsd. There isn't decent editor? have you ever tried vi. No support? like previous guy said try bsdforums and http://www.google.com/bsd or try http://www.freebsd.org/community.html and pick one. There is help if it's needed.

------
    for give me my poor english

Just Joined!
    There is a dead simple text editor included with FreeBSD called EasyEditor. It is started with the command ee. There is also vi, of course as mentioned above.

I'm sorry to say this but for me FreeBSD looks like Linux's poor cousin
    Well, I guess one bad analogy deserves another - FreeBSD is more like Linux's quiet, less popular cousin who is harder than a coffin nail so nobody tries to mess with him. (Or they do and get beat back.)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast