Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by zxxgp I think i know what the problem is. I had Ubuntu and win on the computer. Ubuntu used GRUB as the bootloader. Then I installed Desktop ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by zxxgp
    I think i know what the problem is. I had Ubuntu and win on the computer. Ubuntu used GRUB as the bootloader. Then I installed Desktop BSD and i guess it didn't but a new bootloader there even when i told it to. If i can't boot how am i supposed to get your the config files????
    I am sure i could install it through the command line. I just don't have the time to. GUI is much faster and i don't have to worry about messing up my computer if i do something wrong. I can't afford to mess up my windows partition.
    I don't think anybody here endorsed Desktop BSD. It's really kinda beta... you should have gone with FreeBSD instead, it's a lot more proven. Then all you have to do is install GRUB over it, which shouldn't be an issue for you, and add the freebsd entry to grub.conf.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    What did I say now? Gee, I really can't do anything right on this forum, can I? What, are you going to tell somebody that FreeBSD is as easy to run as SUSE? I sure won't. Even getting a simple ppp internet connection up on BSD is a big challenge. You have to edit a confusing configuration file (and it helps if you know your IP#), add different users to that file, and create an entirely seperate script to use to dial in. Oh, and before any of this you need to make sure that there is a device file in /dev for your modem or none of the above will work. And this is all done with non-linux programs. Somebody said that BSD reminds them of suse desktop wise. It will remind you of suse, but you need to set up a desktop environment seperatly. Oh, but before that you have to set up x11 manually. This involves going through an ncurses setup program that can't detect your monitor's refresh rates, so you need the exact refresh rate or your monitor can be ruined. (and it usually doesn't autodetect your mouse either). then you need to install gnome or kde manually. and if you want them to start up automatically then you need to configure kdm or gdm through even more wonderfully confusing startup scripts. And all I said earlier was to get used to the bsd partition naming system because it is a lot different than the linux system. I didn't know he spent 3 years on linux so all I said was that if he doesn't feel comfortable with partitions that he probably shouldn't be using an operating system like freebsd. And I'm called rude for that?? I just don't want somebody going into freebsd thinking it's gonna be as easy to install as debian sarge... just because it's not. Now what's wrong with this?
    Nothing.

Just Joined!
    I have good news. I got BSD installed and working. I downloaded PC-BSD. It is like Desktop BSD only it works. LOL. Thanks for you help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2