Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
By default, it installs just a base system. But you have the option of installing packages off the cd after the installation (while booted to the cd) and then again ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

By default, it installs just a base system. But you have the option of installing packages off the cd after the installation (while booted to the cd) and then again once booted into the system using either packages or ports

See the FreeBSD handbook about packages and ports.

Linux Enthusiast
    I thought that there were 2 cds, then during the install you can say what extra packages you want and install them, then you will be sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    I thought that there were 2 cds, then during the install you can say what extra packages you want and install them, then you will be sorted.
    There is a second disc, yet there are only ports on them, if you look at the right column of the screen when it asks you if you want to install extra packages it'll actually show you the command such as "/usr/ports/X11-wm/ratpoison" or something. This would be good if you didn't have a network up and running but keep in mind you can get the exact same packages without that extra cd.
    Registered Linux user #393103

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    To sum it up in a few words. Most everything that comes with Linux

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    There is a second disc, yet there are only ports on them, if you look at the right column of the screen when it asks you if you want to install extra packages it'll actually show you the command such as "/usr/ports/X11-wm/ratpoison" or something. This would be good if you didn't have a network up and running but keep in mind you can get the exact same packages without that extra cd.
    Ah, ok, just, when it comes on a cd it comes with the distro, I thought, Ah well, :P

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    From my experience FreeBSD is a pretty solid desktop, but not what I need personally. I've never been able to get the fabled "ability to run Linux binaries" working, which means no Doom or Quake, which means no worky for me.
    I don't bother with games in *nix period, it's like trying to get Windows more programmer oriented... it just can't happen

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    From my experience FreeBSD is a pretty solid desktop, but not what I need personally. I've never been able to get the fabled "ability to run Linux binaries" working, which means no Doom or Quake, which means no worky for me.
    I don't bother with games in *nix period, it's like trying to get Windows more programmer oriented... it just can't happen
    Meh, I have SuSE on my 80GB and FreeBSD on the 20GB slave. In SuSE I run all three Unreal Tournament's, Quake 3 and Quake 4, Doom 3, World of Warcraft, Diablo II, Hitman 2, and many others. I game just fine. With *BSD it's a bit harder, so that is why it runs as my webserver and a place for other storage and such.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Linux Engineer
    I agree totally with you georgy, even in nix some games can be a problem to set up initially, for me getting sound in Doom3 was a *****; however, now that it works I'm more than pleased...I also think that the bsds are great for gaming, again, if you can get them set up...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Enthusiast
    Exactly my point. Was getting these games set up in *nix easy? Did you have absolutely no errors whatsoever? Obviously not. You can get games to work and to work well in *nix, but it just isn't near as easy as it is in Windows. And as I said, you can get excellent programming tools to work and to work well in Windows, but it just isn't near as easy as it is in Linux.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2