Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Yes... A very simple question... What does it come with? GNOME? OOo? Firefox? huh? My interest on this is merely theoretical and I just want to learn a little about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What's included in FreeBSD?

Yes... A very simple question... What does it come with? GNOME? OOo? Firefox? huh?

My interest on this is merely theoretical and I just want to learn a little about this OS. I have read TechieMoe's authoritative website and browsed through a book about FreeBSD at a bookstore... [ The author claims that FreeBSD is just one OS and no more and in contrast with Linux there is no more than one distro of FreeBSD making it a consistent option derived from UNIX properly while Linux is a UNIX-like OS ]

Thoughts?
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

Linux Engineer
    the bsds are really good in my opinion and most software is readily available under the ports system. When I installed openBSD I chose to have it also install x as well, soon I was up and running. Through ports I compiled a wm, ff, etc...very quickly and very efficiently. Softwarewise think of it in a similar way as gentoo, you can get whatever you want and don't have to worry about getting rid of a default that you don't want later on.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

One of the things that you can do when replying a post is simply say rtfm or point a link... Another is to estimulate the discussion at hand...

Of course, before I posted my question I had already read a little about BSD so... Anyway... What a pitty if this fine forum turns into a rtfm type of deal and no discussion takes place...

This is just my personal opinion and it is not intended to start a flame war...
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

OP wrote:
    A very simple question... What does it come with?
    I provided a URL that shows you a huge number of ports available to you. If you had followed that URL, you would have seen what FreeBSD "comes with".

Simple question, simple answer. If it did not address what you were asking, then elaborate with a more specific question.

Linux Engineer

Re: What's included in FreeBSD?

Quote Originally Posted by daacosta
    Yes... A very simple question... What does it come with? GNOME? OOo? Firefox? huh?

My interest on this is merely theoretical and I just want to learn a little about this OS. I have read TechieMoe's authoritative website [...]

Thoughts?
    Yes. TechieMoe's website, while truly entertaining, is not authoritative. On another note, I recently read BSD is not really intended for desktop use, Linux would be the better choice. BSD is more server-oriented.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

I recently read BSD is not really intended for desktop use, Linux would be the better choice. BSD is more server-oriented.
    borromini,

I have no doubt that you read that, but I think whoever wrote it was probably not giving very thoughtful advice.

In many ways (e.g. software installation, creating a custom kernel) my FreeBSD desktop is easier to use than my SuSE desktop.

For the sake of diplomacy, I would like to say that they are equal, give or take.

Linux Engineer
    I cannot speak out of experience...
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    From experience, FreeBSD makes just as good a desktop as Linux does. It isn't as easy to set up as a desktop as many Linux distributions that cater to desktop use, but if you know a bit about *nix operating systems, and dont mind doing things from the command line, FreeBSD is just as viable a desktop as any Linux distribution. My FreeBSD box is more a server than a desktop box, but that is simply because it is about half as fast and only has about 1/4 the RAM and hard drive space as my desktop computer which is a dual boot Linux/Windows XP box.

As to what it 'comes with' ... the standard installation of FreeBSD is a very basic and small, only installing the most essential components for the running of the OS, and some basic services, such as SSH. You can, if you'd like choose to install the X server, and the desktop environment of your choice at installation, but it is just as easy to add it after the fact. There is no default desktop environment for FreeBSD as there is with most Linux distributions (i.e. Gnome with Ubuntu, KDE with Kubuntu, etc.) you pick the one you want from the huge list of ports and install it.

From my experience FreeBSD is a pretty solid desktop, but not what I need personally. I've never been able to get the fabled "ability to run Linux binaries" working, which means no Doom or Quake, which means no worky for me.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast