Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to create a bootable usb thumbdrive for freeBSD. My cd drive doesn't work and I don't have a floppy drive so my only alternative is to boot from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB boot thumbdrive from OSX?

I'm trying to create a bootable usb thumbdrive for freeBSD. My cd drive doesn't work and I don't have a floppy drive so my only alternative is to boot from a thumb drive and install freeBSD via the net. I only have a mac and I don't know how to make the thumb drive bootable with either the cd or boot floppy images.

Linux Enthusiast
    You can't.

The reason that DSL and others like it can is because it has a different feature, which anyway needs to be written from the system, IE You have to be in dsl to write it to drive.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    You can't.

The reason that DSL and others like it can is because it has a different feature, which anyway needs to be written from the system, IE You have to be in dsl to write it to drive.
    You don't have to be within the system to write a bootable usb thumbdrive for the particular system. I'm not sure if it'll work on the bsds; however, in linux you simply bust open the iso and copy it to the thumbdrive. Then, there is a project on kernel.org, not sure of the name of it anymore, but you extract it to the thumbdrive and run it as a program...Voila
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Enthusiast
    Ah brilliant, thanks for clearing that up genesus