Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
funny thing is that FreeBSD claims that they are much more stabler than Linux, but I find that it doesn't happen on my machines. Today I already ran into at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

funny thing is that FreeBSD claims that they are much more stabler than Linux, but I find that it doesn't happen on my machines. Today I already ran into at least 2 kernel panics on my laptop (with NO funny hardware as this laptop is a piece of junk from year 2000). Also, I had a several kernel panics when I ran my desktop with the specifications on my signature and still I run into kernel panics.

On Linux, I have NEVER ran into kernel panics unless it was a hardware failure or I accidentally deleted a kernel module without registering it.

deltatux

I know how you feel, my machine running freebsd froze then self-rebooted when I tried to access my ntfs partition.

But that's the only problem I have had. I still prefer my Gentoo system though. Maybe we both need some time do get to know each other properly... Some quality time...
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by junkman4547
    But out of the box prior to any tweaking, FreeBSD compiles a whole lot faster than Gentoo, at least on my PC. I say you should give it a test drive.
    That was one of my first reactions too.

I've only gotten a kernel panic on freebsd when IIRC removing pseudofs from the kernel - a dependency of devfs... Freebsd works better in many areas on my box (2001 HP pavilion). For example it can perform a soft reboot without something weird happening that causes the BIOS to disable the audio card... It's been a while since I used freebsd though, so I don't know of the current version.

Linux Newbie
    I haven't used FreeBSd in a while also Jaboua. Never could get my mouse scroll wheel to work no matter what I do. I read the Handbook from cover to cover, follow everything it says to no avail .... I simply gave up and live without a scrollwheel function. I primarily use Sarge as my daily OS now. Maybe I'll update my current FreeBSd to the latest version and hopefully my mouse scrollwheel will work by default ....

Just Joined!
    the scrolll wheel is a fuction of X, you'll have to look at that documentation.
    If i had access to my workstation i would give you the lines, but my laptop doesnt have *nix yet. ask the X forum about it, they'll know what lines get your scroll wheel working.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3