Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just installed FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE today and everything went as planned and I am to load the kernel and log in as root. However, when I proceed to attempting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows X Server

Hi, I just installed FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE today
    and everything went as planned and I am to load the kernel and log in as root. However, when I proceed to attempting to setup the X Windows System something goes wrong. I typed # Xorg -configure and I receive the error:
    Fatal Server Error: xf86Enable IO: Failed to open /dev/io for extended I/O. I googled for an answer, and someone told me to modify the file: /etc/rc.conf and change to the following: kern_securelevel="0" (was previously set at 1) and kern_securelevel_enabled="NO"(was previously set at YES). I reinstalled FreeBSD and then proceeded as soon as I logged in to root to change /etc/rc.conf. I typed #Xorg -configure and still go the exact same error, so i proceeded to continue to the next step of the Windows X server and did #Xorg -config xorg.conf.new and then modified the file xorg.conf.new. I found this file entirely blank, so I typed in all of the things following this guide
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO.../x-config.html
    It was as follows:

(I did # edit xorg.conf.new)
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier           "Monitor0"
    	VendorName	"HP Pavilion"
    	ModelName	 "hp pavilion f50"
    	HorizSync	   30-60
    	VertRefresh	   60-75 	(I was not quite sure about this so I put my flat panel monitor's v. sync range)
    	Option		    "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	       "Screen0"
    	Device		      "Card0"
    	Monitor		      "Monitor0"
    	DefaultDepth	    24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport  0 0
    		Depth	   24
    		Modes	  "1024x768"
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection
    I then saved it, and tried startx, but then got the error: No Screens Found.
    Here is the monitor which I have:
    http://www.factorydirect.ca/cgi-bin/...ec.pl/ZZ002317
    Does anyone knwo why I am getting all of the errors, I would really appreciate it. Please feel free to ask for any more info from me which may be useful in debugging these problems. Thanks a lot.

EDIT: By the way, my video card is an ATI Radeon 9550 256MB AGP Dual Monitor Graphic Card (which is supported by FreeBSD)
    http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9550/index.html

~Xer0x

Is that all you have got in your xorg.conf.new? You really need more.
    First copy the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.example file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and start editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. It is heavily commented so just read the instructions in the file for every section.

Just Joined!
    fixed it thank you, but now I have a new problem tryign to configure my wireless :-p see my other post

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Please don't leave people hanging.

Please post how you sovled your problem.