Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am reletively new at BSD and I figured out how to change to a bash shell but how do I make it color? I mean the text is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

color in shell

Hi I am reletively new at BSD and I figured out how to change to a bash shell but how do I make it color? I mean the text is all black now and when I type ls I want the programs to be colored like green for exe and blue for directory that type stuff.
    Thanks
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Enthusiast
    Try aliasing ls to "ls --color=tty" or something like that. You can put a line like this in your .bashrc
    Code:
    alias ls="ls --color=tty"

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by spoon!
    Try aliasing ls to "ls --color=tty" or something like that. You can put a line like this in your .bashrc
    Code:
    alias ls="ls --color=tty"
    I may be wrong, but I think "ls --color" only works on Linux. On FreeBSD, the equivalent would be "ls -G". Check the manual page for ls to be sure.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    It's the ls from coreutils that has the --color switch, if you install(ed) coreutils then it will be called gls. I always preferred that one over the default fbsd one.