Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm going to be testing DesktopBSD and PC-BSD soon and wanted to ask if anyone has any opinions or Pros & Cons for the two....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

DesktopBSD or PC-BSD

I'm going to be testing DesktopBSD and PC-BSD soon and wanted to ask if anyone has any opinions or Pros & Cons for the two.

PCBSD probably has a larger and more active userbase.

It's based on FreeBSD6 whereas Desktop is based on 5.x

Desktop is more, in many people's opinions, BSD like in that it's basically a 5.x install with KDE and a graphical ports manager, which has, incidentally, been taken into the ports tree.

PCBSD also has its own pbi package management system, which is interesting, and handy when it works. The trouble is that it doesn't integrate with /var/db/pkg--in other words, if you install something that requires firefox, and you've installed firefox as a pbi, it will reinstall firefox, not knowing that it's already there.

They're both nice, approaching the same idea from different angles. I would recommend PCBSD over Desktop for the sole reason that it's running 6.x which, IMHO is better than 5.x

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottro
    PCBSD probably has a larger and more active userbase.

It's based on FreeBSD6 whereas Desktop is based on 5.x

Desktop is more, in many people's opinions, BSD like in that it's basically a 5.x install with KDE and a graphical ports manager, which has, incidentally, been taken into the ports tree.

PCBSD also has its own pbi package management system, which is interesting, and handy when it works. The trouble is that it doesn't integrate with /var/db/pkg--in other words, if you install something that requires firefox, and you've installed firefox as a pbi, it will reinstall firefox, not knowing that it's already there.

They're both nice, approaching the same idea from different angles. I would recommend PCBSD over Desktop for the sole reason that it's running 6.x which, IMHO is better than 5.x

I agree with that, i tried both, and only pc-bsd ended up working, and i am happy that i stuck with it

max

Just Joined!
    I believe PCBSD is running 6.x CURRENT by default as opposed to the standard FreeBSD install running 6.x RELEASE. However, I could be wrong ...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw
    I believe PCBSD is running 6.x CURRENT by default as opposed to the standard FreeBSD install running 6.x RELEASE. However, I could be wrong ...

Its running 6.1, i dont know off the top of my head if thats current or release, but i think that 7 is current and 6.1 is release.

max