Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am building myself a new PC, and the video card is an ATI radeon 9700. Now, I want to use the r300 open source driver, because i am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

ATI radeon r300 freebsd driver

Hi,

I am building myself a new PC, and the video card is an ATI radeon 9700. Now, I want to use the r300 open source driver, because i am on amd64 and the proprietry ati driver doesnt work on this platform.

How do i use the r300 driver and have 3d acceleration?

Thanks

onlinebacon

Just Joined!
    There are not seperate drivers in bsd, they are all included in the core package... I have an ati card too and there is no way to get 3d support... only nvidia cards have that, because ati has not really supported any oss except Osx and windows... (and they have a linux driver too, but its crap) This is, however, no problem because in bsd there are no worthwhial games, and if you want to game you should dualboot with windows (witch is really easy to do with the default bsd boot loader) also, what bsd are you using, and if not yet set on a single bsd, might i recomend PC-BSD, because it comes with a gui, instead of having to install one, and has package management like linux (.pbi)

max

Linux Enthusiast
    You can hardly say that FreeBSD has no worthwhile games, they have all of the open source ones that are available for linux, as well as the ones that aren't because of the linux compatability layer .

Kinda wish I bought an Nvidia card now, however, my friend just finished using an ATI radeon 9200, so I might be able to get that off him and use the DRI drivers in Xorg, which would be nice

Thanks

bacon

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    You can hardly say that FreeBSD has no worthwhile games, they have all of the open source ones that are available for linux, as well as the ones that aren't because of the linux compatability layer .

Kinda wish I bought an Nvidia card now, however, my friend just finished using an ATI radeon 9200, so I might be able to get that off him and use the DRI drivers in Xorg, which would be nice

Thanks

bacon

How would the 9200 help? dont you run a newer card and as such all the drivers that work on that card should work on the 9700 that you have... also, i guess im jaded because i dualboot with windows (the undeniable game defacto, because it holds the majority market share, im not saying its a better os, just more common) and also, i had an idea... you could run the closed source ati linux drivers in the compatability layer witch would support your 9700.

max

Linux Enthusiast
    The 9200 dri drivers are complete, and working well, so I thought it would be pretty good. Although, looking into it I have found the 9700 DRI drivers to be pretty good also, able to run half life, and some other games like nexuiz and quake 3 as well, which is good.

The linux compatability layer works with apps, not drivers because they need to have modules added to the kernel and so on, iirc, so it would not work. Anyways, not really interested inthe proprietry drivers because they are well... proprietry.

bacon

Just Joined!
    True... and sorry that you cant get drivers... i hope that it doesnt turn you away from bsd...

max

Linux Enthusiast
    Nah, it won't put me off BSD, there are other ways to get 3d accleration...

Why doesn't the driver work on AMD64? It works on linux on AMD64, both the pure 64bit version and the 32bit running in a 32 bit environment.