Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What can bsd do, that linux cant? I really have no idea. The only thing I really know about bsd is, its unix like, and it can run kde :S ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What can bsd do?

What can bsd do, that linux cant? I really have no idea. The only thing I really know about bsd is, its unix like, and it can run kde :S So yes I dont know much? But what can it do, which linux cant?

Quote Originally Posted by Jincan
    What can bsd do, that linux cant? I really have no idea. The only thing I really know about bsd is, its unix like, and it can run kde :S So yes I dont know much? But what can it do, which linux cant?
    Nothing. BSD and Linux are basically feature-equivalent. There's less commercial software (for instance games) available for BSD, but I've been told there's a way to work around that. Both OSes can do the same things, they just might not always do them in the same way, such as the way the kernel works or the way the file system is organized.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Nothing. BSD and Linux are basically feature-equivalent. There's less commercial software (for instance games) available for BSD, but I've been told there's a way to work around that. Both OSes can do the same things, they just might not always do them in the same way, such as the way the kernel works or the way the file system is organized.
    So why does people use bsd?
    To try something different or?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    So why does people use bsd?
    To try something different or?
    You're essentially asking, "Why do some people buy Hondas and others buy Chevrolets?" The answer depends entirely on the person. Some folks use BSD because they prefer the way the system is set up (more like UNIX since it is descended from AT&T's UNIX code). Others prefer it because they don't care much for the GNU GPL license (the BSD license allows you to use their code in closed-source applications). It's personal preference, much like why some people use different distributions of Linux.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

For a first approximation, all operating systems serve to deliver the resources of the hardware to the user, even extended to what Sun has said: the network is the system. Much of the work that went into early operating systems was to (more or less) equitably share the resources because computers were so expensive. Much of that design is still present, particularly in the unix-like systems, although some systems target desktops, some servers, some workstations, etc.

See the link below for comparisons on features, security, targets, etc., and further links to related information ... cheers, drl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compare_operating_systems
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Just Joined!
    run the bsd programs, run linux programs in the compatability layer, its much faster, it has cleaner code, and its more secure (alot) on the default install, its not as talked about, and all the drivers come in the core install, instead of having to get them seperate... if ur new to it use pc-bsd (it has something just like a .exe) pm me if u have ne other questions or need help

max

Linux Enthusiast
    BSD is also more innovative, they are starting to use some features from solaris like Dtrace (already implemented iirc) and ZFS (soon to be on dragonfly bsd).

I use it because it is stable, ports rocks, fun to use and forces you to learn

Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    BSD is also more innovative, they are starting to use some features from solaris like Dtrace (already implemented iirc) and ZFS (soon to be on dragonfly bsd).
    "More innovative" is of course a matter of opinion. I would argue that the features mentioned above mean nothing to the average user.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

"More innovative" is of course a matter of opinion
    yep: in the exact way that microsoft claims to be innovative....and i think you all know what microsoft's idea of innovation is...

i have seen reviews that state that bsd is more secure that linux with the default installation. of course nothing is stopping you from making a few changes to your favourite linux distro's firewall and other security settings to turn it into a paranoind fortress of solitude.

once again its simply up to you: try out a few linux distros and then try out the bsd flavours and see which one floats your boat. win-win situation
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

Linux Newbie
    I know one thing OpenBSD cannot do at the moment: encrypt non-swap partitions

I was looking to use it for a secure system but I wanted to encrypt my partitions for local security

Also, their "nv" module didn't like my graphics card, though "nv" seems to work fine on Arch Linux (admittadly, I use "nvidia" though).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast