Find the answer to your Linux question:
any open bsd users? i am now at the mouth of studying openbsd. . any feedbacks for newbies like me?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

OPEN BSD users

any open bsd users? i am now at the mouth of studying openbsd. . any feedbacks for newbies like me?
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by icedtea
    any open bsd users? i am now at the mouth of studying openbsd. . any feedbacks for newbies like me?

well... if you run windows you can always put it in virtual pc and learn it from there... im about to try out openbsd too hopefully we will be able to figure it out.... its like really secure, but the only problem i have with it is how old the kernal is....

max

I've been using OpenBSD for some time and it is quite simple. Ports works just as in FreeBSD (almost at least...) and the packages are incredibly stable.

bwhsh8r> I do not know what you mean by that the kernel is old. You are always able to get with CVS or take the latest release version of the kernel and patch it. OpenBSD releases a new version of the OS every 6 months and with it ofcourse the latest kernel functions.
    If you meant that it was based on a old kernel (4.4BSD) it resembles it as much as the Linux kernel resembles Minix.

BTW, keep updated on OpenBSD related stuff at http://undeadly.org/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsinain
    I've been using OpenBSD for some time and it is quite simple. Ports works just as in FreeBSD (almost at least...) and the packages are incredibly stable.

bwhsh8r> I do not know what you mean by that the kernel is old. You are always able to get with CVS or take the latest release version of the kernel and patch it. OpenBSD releases a new version of the OS every 6 months and with it ofcourse the latest kernel functions.
    If you meant that it was based on a old kernel (4.4BSD) it resembles it as much as the Linux kernel resembles Minix.

BTW, keep updated on OpenBSD related stuff at http://undeadly.org/
    yea... i worded it wrong, it is based on 4.4 and teh current one that i am running is 6.1, but they have polished the kernal to no ends, and that is very good, and it lets them find all the security holes thats very good especially if your running a hightraffic server

max

Linux Newbie
    hello guys.. i just installed my openbsd 3.9 two days ago. does the default installation has its X already?
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Just Joined!
    Im pritty sure that it doesnt, buti may be wrong

Linux Engineer
    during the installation when you select the install packages, did you select the x packages? it installs x by default if you tell it too.