Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed FreeBSD for the first time and I'm running into a few problems. First my mouse isn't configuring correctly. It's a basic 3-button USB mouse - no bells ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Configuring FreeBSD

I just installed FreeBSD for the first time and I'm running into a few problems.

First my mouse isn't configuring correctly. It's a basic 3-button USB mouse - no bells or whistles.
    Next my video card won't display 'startx' - it's an ATI radeon card. Is that going to be a problem for BSD? I'll use basic non-ati drivers if it's possible and necessary. I don't plan on doing any graphics-intensive stuff.
    Lastly, vi is giving me hell. I'm a nano-user but nano isn't an option. If someone could supply a real quick vi howto it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    For your mouse and video card, try running xorgconfig. Set the protocol as "auto" for the mouse. ATI graphics cards should work on FreeBSD, but I don't know the name of the driver you should choose when running xorgconfig. As for VI, take a look at the vimbook or the tutorial at vim.org.

Quote Originally Posted by daark.child
    For your mouse and video card, try running xorgconfig. Set the protocol as "auto" for the mouse. ATI graphics cards should work on FreeBSD, but I don't know the name of the driver you should choose when running xorgconfig. As for VI, take a look at the vimbook or the tutorial at vim.org.
    I ran sysinstall and tried to configure my mouse. I tried literally every option and none worked.
    I also followed the handbook 'configuring X11' instructions but I get errors at the
    Code:
    Xorg -config xorg.conf.new
    part. I guess
    Code:
    Xorg -configure
    didn't correctly configure my mouse or video card, but I have no idea what settings I need to change or what I need to change them to.

As for vi - I have glanced at numerous howtos but they are all so in depth.
    Really all I need to know is the basics. Like how do I edit a text file and save it? For example in nano I would just open the file, hit ctrl-o to save and ctrl-x to exit. I can't imagine vi is that much more difficult. With that said, is it possible for me to install nano? That would make life soo much easier. I wish FreeBSD did us the small favor of at least including it on the CDs.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Linux Engineer
    Nano is really simple to use, but once you get a hang of vi it seems even simpler. You can always install nano before you do any real configuring through ports, or pkg_add.

Simple vi commands.

i Changes to insert mode, else you are in visual. You hit i, insert your text and then hit escape to exit insert mode to beep mode. It beeps when you do this

:w writes a file, must not be in insert mode

:q quits a file, must not be in insert mode

if you get a prompt that says read only then you must override it with :w! instead of :w

that's it, practice for 5 minutes and you'll get the hang of it. Keep using vi and you will be amazed at the wealth of simplicity and power that its commands contain, even though its not just scroll, type, ctl-X like nano

PM if you get stuck on any commands

Linux Newbie
    You should be able to install nano. I used to run FreeBSD5.4 and I think I install nano from port if my memory is correct.

Mouse configuration can be hell. I've never resolved my mouse scroll wheel problem and I searched the Handbook for it until my eyes started to bleed !!

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNeat
    I ran sysinstall and tried to configure my mouse. I tried literally every option and none worked.
    I also followed the handbook 'configuring X11' instructions but I get errors at the
    Code:
    Xorg -config xorg.conf.new
    part. I guess
    Code:
    Xorg -configure
    didn't correctly configure my mouse or video card, but I have no idea what settings I need to change or what I need to change them to.

As for vi - I have glanced at numerous howtos but they are all so in depth.
    Really all I need to know is the basics. Like how do I edit a text file and save it? For example in nano I would just open the file, hit ctrl-o to save and ctrl-x to exit. I can't imagine vi is that much more difficult. With that said, is it possible for me to install nano? That would make life soo much easier. I wish FreeBSD did us the small favor of at least including it on the CDs.
    Can u post ur mouse specs and the errors u get?
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

As for the nano business:
    I'm a nano-user but nano isn't an option.
    It's an option if you want it to be:
    Code:
    # cd /usr/ports/editors/nano && make && make install clean

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    As for the nano business:

It's an option if you want it to be:
    Code:
    # cd /usr/ports/editors/nano && make && make install clean
    "make install clean" is all you need to do once you are in /usr/ports/editors/nano.

Well observed, but both should produce the same result (the extra make first will not hurt anything).

In any case, I figure the OP has long since vanished.

Just Joined!
    There is also the ee editor on freebsd that comes stock. It's aimed at being able to use it without prior knowledge. All the commands reside at the top, kind of like nano =)