Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This is the summary of my installtion observations for FreeBSD 6.1 on my PC (desktop). PC Specs (for turing): 1. Motherboard: Intel 845GVSR 2. Processor: PIV 2.4 GHz, Cache 1024K ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Installtion observations for FreeBSD 6.1

This is the summary of my installtion observations for FreeBSD 6.1 on my PC (desktop).

PC Specs (for turing):

1. Motherboard: Intel 845GVSR
    2. Processor: PIV 2.4 GHz, Cache 1024K
    3. Memory: 512 MB (266 Mz DDR1)
    4. Hard Disk: 38 GB Segate ATA.
    5. No external sound cards and Graphix cards.
    6. Monitor: LG 500G (15 inch CRT Display)
    7. Keyboard: Generic 104 Key from Logitech (Y-SM4
    8. Mouse: Samsung PS/2, SM0P5000WX (Optical).

Installtion Procedure:

1. Made a primary partition on the master and the only hard disk of 14.48 GB as UFS, remaining for gentoo (ext3fs)
    2. Chose the standard installtion (there is not much difference between custom installtion though).
    3. After stage1 it asks to configure network, I did so. (Device fxp0 (eth0 of Linux) )
    4. Asks to add more packages, I chose all available.
    5. The installtion took about 45 minutes in all.
    6. It also asks to add users and groups, I did that too, added myself to wheel, created a group shutdown to use sudo later and added myself to it.

Boot Up:

1. For some time I could not get X working. The problem it gave was that it could not locate some devices. I found that the mouse location was not correct. I had given it as /dev/psm0 but it should be /dev/sysmouse.
    2. For others using my config, run xorgconfig as root.
    a. Choose mouse as ps/2
    b. Do not emulate 3 buttons.
    c. Device: /dev/sysmouse
    d. Keyboard: Generic 104 key, layout en_us
    e. Graphics card: i810
    f. Buffer memory (none but choose smallest available 256K).
    g. Choose a good resoultion. I chose 24 bit 1024x768.
    3. Attempt to startx.
    4. KDE and GNOME came preinstalled. I added exec startkde in my .xinitrc and got KDE 3.5 working.
    5. Matlab installation fails (OS not recognized is the error it gives, help is welcome)
    6. Octave runs fine.
    7. xmms also does. (See FreeBSD handbook on getting sound card working). Plays mp3 also.
    8. Mouse makes discreet movements and could not correct it. (Help!!!)

Remarks: Very stable, made it compile three source codes simulatenoulsy and xmms played without any interruption and xterm opens instantly even then (using GUI). (My standard crash test!!!). Port system quite good, have gentoo on dual-boot so no problems with learning how to use it. Better than Solaris (which was also quite stable).

Software Availability: Better than Solaris, same as Gentoo. That means good and good.

Plans: Currently compiling window maker and will uninstall KDE then

More notes will be up on my site by the time my exams get over. I install new distros only during my exams because otherwise I am busy in assignments (no pun).
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Linux Newbie
    Thanks Apoorv_Khurasia for the rundown..
    How would rate FreeBSD against Gentoo ? I'm just curious to know.

I used to use FreeBSD5.4 but couldn't get my mouse scroll wheel to work and that was extremely annoying so now I use Debian exclusively.

Gentoo is performing better in terms of "speed". People say BSD is stable, true, I found that out too, but Gentoo has not crashed a single time for me yet!!!

Overall: I would rate Gentoo better (of the two).

I don't abt 5.4 but I have got my mouse working (with scroll ) on 6.10 Release
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I am pretty sure you're a gentoo fanboy, cause Solaris kicks the crap out of gentoo on the server. Solaris and FreeBSD are deployed in mission-critical environments, gentoo is for hobbyist fanboys like yourself that think watching code compile for days makes them smarter.

Tweaked OS for mission critical systems

The comments u r making are well understood and accepted too. Now before this turn into a distro-war I would like to say that I am not a gentoo fanboy or whatever..... I just said that gentoo is performing better (that is of course on my box, the specs of which are given in the starting post). I also said that I acknowledge the stability of BSD but gentoo is also stable reason being --my box is not a mission critical system (Such systems exist on my university mainframes where Solaris is rocking and gentoo would surely not...).

One should keep it in mind that these OS are tweaked in order to give superior performance on such systems ....hence on your box u would probably not get the same performance. (u can even endup getting worse).
    e.g., BSD has a better memory management but it will eat ur CPU for that. Hence the best results are achieved by getting more CPU and run an OS like BSD on it (cos like Yahoo do it)

Finally:- watching code compile for days has made me smarter. U can try it too
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

fvs
    Linux Newbie

Red face

Hello Apoorv, Sorry to cut in, But you seem like you know your distros, I've been trying FB 6.1 and so far I can't seem to get my DHCP to stay stable, I have to reenter my senting each time I reboot, I have my /etc/rc.conf file configured right take a look;
    hostname="sorannos.cable.rcn.com"
    ifconfig_re0="dhcp"
    linux_enable="YES"
    usbd_enable="YES"
    defaultrouter=192.168.0.1
    network_interfaces=re0
    kdm_enable="YES"
    snd_enable="YES"
    ifconfig_lo0=dhcp
    Is there something wrong here? What else do I need? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
    BTW I tried Gentoo livecd, but couldn't get but could not get it to install, After booting? Not haveing luck with new distros.

Hi fvs

I have never worked with dhcp in my life before so I may not be the perfect person to ask this question. Please do wait for other people's replies in case what I tell fails.

Quote Originally Posted by fvs
    I have to reenter my senting each time I reboot
    Do you mean the settings in /etc/dhclient.conf ? In case this is the problem copy your /etc/dhclient.conf to some other file (say /etc/mydhcp.conf) and add this line in /etc/rc.conf
    Code:
    dhcp_program="/sbin/dhclient"
    dhcp_flags="-c /etc/mydhcp.conf"
    Since all other settings look fine to me try this out and do remember to post a followup telling if this worked/failed. Good Luck!!!
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

fvs
    Linux Newbie
    Thanks for your reply, I just erased Freebsd 6.1, I didn't think the time and effort was worth all the time I invested, Also I haven't any luck with my (Basic) begginers questions that I posted into BSD forums, except for you and one other person trying to help me out. I have the feeling that the users of BSD are far above my head. I'm not sure about their friendliness.
    Now I would like to try Gentoo to see if I can get it install and running a few multimedia apps.
    I tryed Gentoo livecd, but couldn't get it to installed, After booting? I have an intel motherboard with intel cpu and 512 ram, I read that appears that the 2006.1 install media (all of them) are broken on < i686 x86 CPUs
    Its a known bug and is being worked. The 2006.1 stage tarballs may be affected too.
    Any suggestions? Thanks, fvs

Its very sad to hear that you have uninstalled BSD. But I am quite sure that you are misjudging the friendliness of BSD users. What I believe is that on this forum not many users are running BSD based OS. People here are mostly running Linux based OS. And since things on BSD don't go parallal to Linux people can't make suggestions based on their Linux experience. As a result you didn't get much help. You might have tried the bsdforum or some other dedicated BSD forum like it.

Anyways good luck installing gentoo. I will like to suggest a stage 3 tarball install instead of using live-cd installations. The live-cds are notorious for being corrupt but stage 3 tarballs are rarely corrupted (I mean what's there to be corrupted after all ?).
    Please feel free to post your troubles in the gentoo section. I am sure that gentoo won't let you down.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    One other good resource if you are getting started with FreeBSD is the FreeBSD handbook. I used it as a guide when I did my first installation a few years ago and I still use it for reference. If you have any questions regarding the BSDs, then you should try bsdforums.org as suggested by apoorv_khurasia since its one of the biggest bsd forums out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast