Find the answer to your Linux question:
In Desktop-BSD [KDE] the printing manager does not have my printer [HP Deskjet 3940] in the regular driver list. However when I click on other and go to 'media:/ad0s1e/ports/print/hpijs/work/hpijs-2.1.4/ppd/' there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How to add printer driver???

In Desktop-BSD [KDE] the printing manager does not have my printer [HP Deskjet 3940] in the regular driver list. However when I click on other and go to 'media:/ad0s1e/ports/print/hpijs/work/hpijs-2.1.4/ppd/' there is a driver listed as 'HP-DeskJet_3940-hpijs.ppd'. When I select it and click ok I get this error:

Wrong driver format.
    /usr/ports/print/hpijs/work/hpijs-2.1.4/ppd/HP-Deskjet_3940-hpijs.ppd
    [line 1]: syntax error, unexpected QUOTED

What is this telling me to do??? Or how do I add this driver or use it to get my printer to work???

Just Joined!

Question Progress but still can't print.

So I opened Package Manager and checked out hpijs under available packages and discovered that it wasn't installed. Installed it and rebooted. Then had many more HP drivers including one for HP Desktop 3940. That's good. When I open the KDE Printers-Control Center in administrator mode I get an error:

Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
    Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: the IPP request failed for an unknown reason.

This with CUPS selected as print system currently used [CUPS and CUPS-base are installed]. Actually I get this error no matter which print system is selected, that seems odd? It lists the server as 'localhost:w' not sure about that? If I select 'Print Server>Restart Server' I get this error:

Unable to restart print server. Error message received from manager:
    Symbol restartServer not found in cupsdconf library.

If I select 'Print Server>Configure Server' I get:

Unable to configure print server. Error message received from manager:
    Symbol configureServer not found in cupsdconf library.

The 'cupsdconf' file is a binary and looks like something this noob shouldn't touch. I then open web browser and go to:

http://localhost:631/admin?op=add-printer

and add printer as 'USB Printer #1' at '/dev/ulpt0' I again select the 'HP DeskJet 3940 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)' which I notice adds the printer to the KDE Printer-Control Center so 'http://localhost:631/' is communicating with KDE Printer-Control Center. Then I select 'Print Test Page' where I get this error:

"Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/ulpt0": Permission denied

So I'm wondering what I need to do to get my printer to work? Do I need to change permissions for USB devices? If so, How? Man this is withering. I've looked in docs and haven't found what I need. The 'FreeBSD Handbook' covers serial and parallel ports ONLY. Doesn't even mention USB. In the CUPS Software Administration Manual it says:

Running the Software
    Once you have installed the software you can start the CUPS server by typing:
    /usr/sbin/cupsd ENTER

I get:

# /usr/sbin/cupsd
    /usr/sbin/cupsd: Command not found.

I really need some help.

Just Joined!

Unhappy

This is where I'm at trying to get this HP Deskjet 3940 printer to work as I go to bed. I added 'perm ulpt0 0666' to '/etc/devfs.conf' to change permissions for /dev/ulpt0. I have the printer installed at 'http://localhost:631/printers/' as USB Printer #1 with the 'HP DeskJet 3940 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)' driver. This adds the printer to the list in 'Printer KDE-Control Center as well. When I try to print a test page there I get this error:

"USB port busy; will retry in 30 seconds..."

This warning doesn't change over time and it never prints.
    When I try to print in Firefox I get a dialog box that lists only 'PostScript/default' and it never prints. When I try in Thunderbird I get a dialog box that has selected 'CUPS/BLEEPINGPRINTER' and also has 'PostScript/default' in it's list. But it never prints either. In Kedit, Kwrite, and Kate I get the same dialog box as in KDE-Control Center. In all cases when I select 'Print' the box comes up that says it is preparing and sending the data. All the jobs are in the queue in Control Center but they Don't print.

All this MAY mean [I'm a noob] that the CUPS website is communicating with my printer and my print software is communicating to the point of sending data to the usb port '/dev/ulpt0' but it ain't getting from there [the queue] to my printer. But how do I fix that? In the FreeBSD Handbook I saw something about 'Device Hints' but haven't figured out how to apply it to my problem.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    This is where my printer is at now [from http://localhost:631/printers/PRINTER1]:

PRINTER1 (Default Printer) "Printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds..."
    Description: HP DeskJet 3940
    Make and Model: HP DeskJet 3940 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
    Printer State: processing, accepting jobs, published.
    Device URI: usb:/dev/ulpt0

Why is it saying 'not connected'? And yes I've checked the cable and printer is on.

Just Joined!
    When I unplug and replug my printer USB cable a box pops up with this info:

Device Attached
    HP Deskjet 3900,rev 2.00/1.00, addr2, iclass 7/1

Is this correct?

Just Joined!
    If anyone can help me out getting this printer to work in Desktop_BSD see this thread:

http://desktopbsd.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=4501#4501