Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all I have a few programs I frequently use and that I would like to be included in the ports package manager. Is manually configuring the *BSD package manager ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Configuring the ports package manager recommended?

Dear all

I have a few programs I frequently use and that I would like to be included in the ports package manager. Is manually configuring the *BSD package manager recommended? A few considerations:
    - It would alleviate pains in creating a script that could be distributed across machines/users instead
    - If a new release of the program comes out, does the package manager need to be updated manually too or can this be automated somehow? Regex perhaps?
    - Are there any stability issues reported/experienced after having configured the package manager?

Thanks in advance

Tech

Just Joined!
    i have no idea what you are saying in this post... heh

I thought it was just me. The question totally lost me.

technossomy, could you explain the basic goal you're trying to accomplish?

Linux User
    Apologies for the confusion. Example: program XYZ is publicly available from ftp://url_xyz and I would like to include it in a standard install. I could build from source every time I need it, but perhaps there is a point in incorporating XYZ in the package manager. Which scenario is recommended?

Just Joined!
    this might be of some use to you:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...er/036772.html

you should be able to build your own package right into the ports tree (using the other packages as reference).. but this is not something i've done.

Linux User
    Thanks, that definitely helps. So this approach is portable? Ie, can be distributed across machines and/or can be maintained centralised?

Thanks in advance

Just Joined!
    yes, i'm sure there's a way you can have a local computer act as the rsync host for fetching ports. i have never done it though, as i don't have enough freebsd boxen at home to make it worthwhile.