Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have used Linux for a few years and BSD for a month. I was told the big difference between BSD and Liniux is that BSD maintains a userland. Is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What's the difference

I have used Linux for a few years and BSD for a month. I was told the big difference between BSD and Liniux is that BSD maintains a userland. Is there any other difference between all the *nix operating systems? Is BDS a type of Unix? And what about the different BSDs are they all only slightly different in their userland? Besides the tecnical differences, I have noticed BSD seems a little more difficult to configure. Is this a fair generalization? Is BSD more secure, or fast? And a greedy queston just for the language learners like me - does BSD have good support for languages like Chinese or Spanish.

I'm all ears. ~~ Justin

This doesn't answer all your questions, but take a look at http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd...bsd4linux1.php
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

All UNIX os's are not the same, although they are very similar. A lot of unix os's are not easy to work with. A fun one for x86 is interactive unix. It sucked at interacting, and had native support for something like 3 or 4 different NIC chipsets. Also, tons of files were world-writable, so you could root interactive boxes like 1000 ways if you had user level access.

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haleleonj
    Is BDS a type of Unix?
    BSD is UNIX based. It does not have the license to call itself UNIX. Although for all practical purposes it can be called UNIX.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Just Joined!

commonalities

Cool. That explains things pretty well for me. BSD is based more on a rigerous academic background from what I read, thanks for the links. It has great support, but mayber slightly less than linux. It seems more stable overall, and I think it will be fun to try later in the future - I still feel intimidated by the change over from the last time I tried to cross over. But then again that was on a Mac too. Maybe I can work my way up by using Gentoo. Thanks all ~~ Justin