Find the answer to your Linux question:
Looking for a replacement to conky. I installed freebsd and am running a server with no gui. Looking for a system monitor that is nongui based that will display server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

conky replacement

Looking for a replacement to conky. I installed freebsd and am running a server with no gui. Looking for a system monitor that is nongui based that will display server stats

What you're looking for is "top"

Just Joined!
    is that not already installed by default?

It probably should be. I haven't used FBSD since probably 4.2 or something, so I am not sure. top should be somewhere in ports if you don't already have it.

Yes, top is part of the base system.

And conky is available in ports:
    Code:
    # cd /usr/ports/sysutils/conky/ && make install clean
    P.S. I've never used conky before, and reading the Makefile it's not clear to me if it requires X or not (maybe it does).

I wonder if it will make with USE_X_PREFIX= no ??

Anyway, if top doesn't do it for you, explain more about what you need.

I had never used conky so I looked it up. It looks like a more terminal eye candy systerm monitoring tool than top.

Just Joined!
    you can disable X thru configure. I am not sure if it will do it any other way. I will try what you recommended. See I( have no gui installed nor do I want one. Top is nice but not sure if I was to do all that

Sorry dude, Conky works only in X. If you successfuly make it work without X, let me know!

What you are looking for is the output of top and df -h. Top will show you cpu and memory usage while df -h will show you disk usage. I never heard of an application that will monitor that "live" for you. If you need something more advanced to monitor your system, look at Nagios or Big sister.

Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by stukov
    Sorry dude, Conky works only in X. If you successfuly make it work without X, let me know!

What you are looking for is the output of top and df -h. Top will show you cpu and memory usage while df -h will show you disk usage. I never heard of an application that will monitor that "live" for you. If you need something more advanced to monitor your system, look at Nagios or Big sister.

Hope this helps.
    ./configure --disable-X or something like that. If you read the readme it will tell ya. I also got this from one of the developers so I know it is possible

I've just read carefully the manual page and the FAQ on their website... there is the --enable-x11 option you can set when configuring. Your choice is : windowed conky or conky directly printed in the root window in X11.