Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using freeBSD 6.2 i386 on an AMD chip with an nvidia build in network card. I have read the parts of the handbook that I think apply to networking. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

no internet

I'm using freeBSD 6.2 i386 on an AMD chip with an nvidia build in network card. I have read the parts of the handbook that I think apply to networking. It suggests my network card is functional because I get an address and it says UP when I do ifconfig. My network uses DHCP. I live in China so the internet here is spuradic sometimes and it may be a little different, but I am writing this on a windows machine with identicle hardware, to the mouse, and the network works fine on it. I have looked at the boot message with the help of scroll lock and and it says "ifconfig_nve0inet 192.168.0.233 netmask 255.255.255.224 autoselect full-duplex: not found" It will say this weather or not my cable is pluged in and reguardless of when I plug it in, but if I plug it in it may autoselect 10 or 100 Mbs. I can ping my default gateway and myself just fine. I think my computer is configured incorectly but I don't know what file to edit and how. Obviously I have edited /etc/rc.config. I messed with /etc/hosts but I think that is irrelivant for me. I used sysinstall to add the address for the default gateway, and I think the hostname and host address are irrelivant so I made them foo.bar.com and foo.bar or the other way if it suggested it. The only other error I see on the boot screen is "Error : hostname nor servname provided, or not known" But I could have sworn I added the hostname with sysinstall. What is the manual way to do this? Are hostnames relivant with DHCP? Do I need to get a translator to ask my administrator these values; I can't speak Chinese.

I feel a little bumed that I couldn't fix this after reading all the documentation and forms, but I'm really stuck. If you need anything more let me know, and any references or suggestions would be gladly accepted.

Just Joined!
    So two days have passed. No reply. Was it something I said? Did I post to the wrong form? Should I be more patient? What's up? Can I at least get some sample files or a pointer to some good reference material? ~~ Justin

Was it something I said?
    Nah, this section of the forum is just a bit less traveled.

So, ifconfig shows an IP address assigned to your NIC. That's a start.

What do the following commands show?

Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    Code:
    netstat -rn

Just Joined!
    Thanks for responding to my plea.

foo# cat /etc/resolve.conf
    nameserver 211.137.130.3
    nameserver 61.134.1.4

foo# netstat -rn
    Routing tables

Internet:
    Destination Gateway Flags Refs Use Netif Expire
    127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 0 12 lo0
    192.168.0.224/27 link#1 UC 0 0 nve0
    192.168.0.254 00:e0:fc:41:36:8a UHLW 1 2 nve0 1143

Internet6:
    Destination Gateway Flags Netif
    Expire
    ::1 ::1 UHL lo0
    fe80::%lo0/64 fe80::1%lo0 U lo0
    fe80::1%lo0 link#3 UHL lo0
    ffo1:3::/32 fe80::1%lo0 UC lo0
    ffo2::%lo0/32 fe80::1%lo0 UC lo0

I had to look and type at the same time but the network cable was pluged in and I checked my typing twice.

My box isn't trying to use Internet 6 is it?

Kinda off topic - did you learn all this mostly through use or reading or what?

Thanks in advance, Justin.

It looks like you don't have a default gateway specified. Add the following directive to /etc/rc.conf:
    Code:
    defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
    (assuming the internal interface IP address for your gateway/router is 192.168.0.1; if it isn't, use the correct IP.)

Now, run:
    Code:
    # /etc/netstart
    That'll restart your network service. Finally, try the netstat -rn command again and make sure the default gateway is there.

If all goes well, try to ping to something out on the web. Any luck?

--------------------------------

Kinda off topic - did you learn all this mostly through use or reading or what?
    Both. Lots of reading. Lots of use (trial and error).

Make some time to read through the entire handbook (seriously). There are also a couple good books you can buy on FreeBSD. My favorite is FreeBSD 6 Unleashed.

The first things you should try to learn well to make your life easy in the long run are:
    • How to update your ports tree.
    • How to install and upgrade ports (and you can choose a ports management tool).
    • How to rebuild world.

All three are described in detail in the handbook.

Just Joined!

problem solved!

Your awesome!

That was so painless. I did get some errors when I did /etc/netstart (ifconfig...bla bla not found) but the important thing is that I'm now writing to you using my BSD box.

I will be reading the handbook in detial now, like I should have done before the install, and I downloaded some other books to read, but I think I'll try to get yours. And ports, defiently important.

Thanks again! ~~ Justin

P.S. I just found the code button; sorry about the bad code.