Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Can someone please recommend an open source program that I can convert one XVID movie to DVD (pal) please? I have downloaded so called freeware and then they say ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XVID to DVD software

Hi,

Can someone please recommend an open source program that I can convert one XVID movie to DVD (pal) please?

I have downloaded so called freeware and then they say "you can only convert 1 -3 minutes and then you have to pay". Goodness, that annoys me!

I don't have the time to search myself, so your recommendations would be great.

Thanking you
    Michelle

A quick google search turned up this article:
    http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/17/2058219

And what does this question have to do with BSD? If you're using FreeBSD, the programs referred to in the article all have ports.

• /usr/ports/multimedia/dvdauthor
    • /usr/ports/sysutils/dvd+rw-tools
    • /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer

I haven't tested the steps in the article. Good luck.

Linux Newbie
    I'm too late to be any good, but hopefully other people will see this and try it out--

/usr/ports/multimedia/tovid

Tovid is hella cool, it basically acts as a frontend automating ffmpeg, transcode, dvdauthor, growisofs. Very cool, you can easily do batch conversions of video files, make a menu, create the dvd file structure, convert to iso and burn with just a few options.

Just Joined!
    hiho

well, I tryied mplayer as anomie suggested. It works great , i've installed it right now

I also heard good things about Xine, but I haven't succeed in installing it since i got the error msg :

===> curl-7.16.1 does not support both c-ares and IPv6 - disable one of them.
    *** Error code 1

I got the same error while trying to install wmweather+, wmweather and xmps. I tryied to give make deinstall on c-ares and nothing happened.

Quote Originally Posted by fawz
    ===> curl-7.16.1 does not support both c-ares and IPv6 - disable one of them.
    *** Error code 1
    Well that's a new problem which probably deserves a fresh thread. But anyway:
    Code:
    $ cd /usr/ports/ftp/curl && make config
    Then you're going to need to deselect either CARES or IPV6. (The latter is a good choice to deselect, unless you really do require ipv6 support.)

After you've done that and hit OK, the new options will be saved and you can build and install the xine port.