Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I am new to bsd. Just installed FreeBSD 6.2. When i run startx, I get a desktop with 3 xterm windows. I need kde/gnome or any other desktop with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

kde

Hi,

I am new to bsd. Just installed FreeBSD 6.2.
    When i run startx, I get a desktop with 3 xterm windows. I need kde/gnome or any other desktop with menus. Please help step by step.

Thank You

This information is available to you in the handbook.

Specifically, have a look here:
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ok/x11-wm.html

Depending on your situation, this is a rare case where I'd recommend installing the package as described -
    Code:
    # pkg_add -r kde
    Easy and painless.

If you opt to install from ports instead, just be aware that it will take a long time to install kde and its many, many dependencies. (On my AMD Duron 1.6GHz box, it takes ~ 2 days.)

Linux Newbie
    I am going to reinstall freebsd. What kind of installation should I do when it gives me 9 options.
    can freebsd install kde?

What is the diference between 2 kde installation methods in handbook?
    How much time will be needed for both? mine pc speed is 850Mhz, 128 MB RAM.

I have 2 Freebsd cd. What it includes if it don't install any desktop?

There is no reason to reinstall FBSD (it won't buy you anything).

First, a 850MHz CPU + 128MB RAM is not going to be able to run kde or gnome well. That is a very low-end box. (Think of the resources that Windows XP requires -- kde and gnome are similar.)

May I suggest xfce, or better still, fluxbox? There are xfce installation instructions in the URL I posted for you.

To install fluxbox, use:
    Code:
    # pkg_add -r fluxbox
    Then with your regular user account:
    Code:
    $ cat 'exec fluxbox' > ~/.xinitrc
    Finally, startx.

What is the diference between 2 kde installation methods in handbook?
    How much time will be needed for both?
    The first uses precompiled packages, the second uses ports. If you install the packages on that box, you'll have your DE set up and working within 5 minutes or so. If you install using ports on that low-end box, you'll have your DE set up and working within 3 days or so.

Linux Newbie
    I have removed the os and installed netbsd.
    I am stuck again .

How to install any desktop in netbsd?

why does pkg_add / ports fetch data from ftp when I have them in the cd?
    Then data on the cd is going waste.

I also found option to install kde in sysinstall in freebsd but it doesn't do anyting apart from going in indefinite loop

So far, I am not impressed with bsd at all. They have complicate it for no reason in my opinion.

In freebsd installtion I was asked to install extra packages which I did . So what were they? their installation went waste as well.
    what type of freebsd installation is supposed to be done?

This is very frustating. Even live cd's are not working. I hae tried 3 and 2 are in the downloading process.

I just dont understand the desktop installation process . why they refer to ftp when data is in cd 2.

They have complicate it for no reason in my opinion.
    From my viewpoint, it seems like you are the one complicating things for no reason.

I offered some advice and I didn't see any indication that you tried it. Now you're on to NetBSD -- well I don't know much about NetBSD. I'd suggest spending some time reading their extensive and thorough documentation to get yourself up to speed: http://netbsd.org/Documentation/

FreeBSD can be your best friend if you have some patience and if you're willing to do your homework. If that's too much effort, then I'd suggest moving on to something more newbie-friendly, like PC-BSD or even a Linux distro like Ubuntu.

Linux Newbie
    someone told me that it will take weeks for
    make clean install to complete

I also tried pkg_add and it was fetching packages from ftp, so I aborted it.
    It will also take lot of time.

I can see the kde folder in disk2. what is that for? I checked the option 9 (X + binaries) during the setup. Don't it install the X?

I will start again from scratch. What installation option to choose during setup?

Linux Newbie
    I followed but still dont understand.. anyways I did
    pkg_add -r fluxbox

it got over very soon.
    now I issued your command

when I do startx, X display fails.

Presuming you're talking about FreeBSD again...

Have you configured X yet? If not, read and follow the directions here: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO.../x-config.html

That will help you create a xorg.conf file and test it. Once you have it working correctly, it needs to be copied to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Once 1) X is working; 2) fluxbox is installed (sounds like you did that); 3) your ~/.xinitrc file contains the value specified above, you should be in business.

After reading your last post maybe do a little homework and learn to use vi which what can be used to edit files especially xinitrc files. 'anomie' gave you the text needed for you to get x running.

Remember google is your friend

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast