Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Forum, This is my first post. The organization that I am working for is using a squid/Dans -guardian proxy server and the person who set it up was smart ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help with expanding disk space in root directory

Hi Forum,

This is my first post. The organization that I am working for is using a squid/Dans -guardian proxy server and the person who set it up was smart enough to put 100MB of space on root directory and 10GB on home.

Now the root directory has run out of space and I cannot save any changed to the squid config file or dans guardian config file. I was wondering if there any way to move the free space on home directory to root directory. Also I would need to do it through command line as the version of linux in use is totally command line based. ( The linux Distro being used is FreeBSD, and I believe its atleast a 3 year old version). Command line gurus please help.......................
    Last edited by devils casper; 05-15-2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: moved to Everything BSD Forum.

Is adding another disk an option here? Which version of FreeBSD is this? uname -a will tell you.

I don't know of a way to shrink a ufs partition (only grow it).

Also, FreeBSD is not a Linux distro. There is a separate forum here for BSD questions.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie View Post
    Is adding another disk an option here? Which version of FreeBSD is this? uname -a will tell you.

I don't know of a way to shrink a ufs partition (only grow it).

Also, FreeBSD is not a Linux distro. There is a separate forum here for BSD questions.

uname -a, resulted in the following -

OpenBSD proxy.gwl.local 3.6 GENERIC#59 i386

Buying a new hard drive can be an option as well. What's the trick there?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    msood,

You're running OpenBSD (not FreeBSD). Unfortunately I can't help with that.

Buying a new hard drive can be an option as well. What's the trick there?
    Here's the strategy on a general level:
    • Add a second physical disk.
    • Create a new partition / disklabel for it.
    • Move the /usr filesystem from to its own partition (on the new disk).
    • (You might consider a more elaborate strategy where you move /tmp and /var off as well.)

Since I haven't worked with OpenBSD, I won't be able to give you specifics instructions.

Check out the OpenBSD Frequently Asked Questions -- section 14 may (or may not) be helpful.

Good luck.