Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well guys, I found it very strange. I'm mounting Windows XP not through etc/fstab, but using the command line : #mount -t ntfs /dev/ads4s1 /mnt/win I had some bugs in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Coping files from FreeBSD 6.2 to a WindowsXP ntfs partition

Well guys, I found it very strange. I'm mounting Windows XP not through etc/fstab, but using the command line :

#mount -t ntfs /dev/ads4s1 /mnt/win

I had some bugs in WindowsXP when I tried to install Norton AV. I saw it changed some permissions under windows. I wasn't capable anymore to make changes on the registry through msconfig. Also sometime after my computer just couldn't turn on after windowsxp loading screen. It seems that what happened affected the plug and play blablabalbalbla This isn't a WindowsXP Forum Support so let me go straight.

I mounted the partition and copied some files to my FreeBSD, making a backup of what I had of more important. So I simply made :

#cp -Rv "directories and files"

So that's okay by now. But after I installed my Windows XP and tried to copy it back to the ntfs partition, I failed with the msg :

#cp -Rv allback/ /mnt/win/Documents\ and\ Settings/
    allback/ -> /mnt/win/Documents and Settings
    cp: /mnt/win/Documents and Settings/backup: No such file or directory

So I was all : "WTF?!"

I red "man cp" and also I haven't found nothing there. So am I missing something ? Ohh and strangely, the folder "backup" which shows in the 3rd command line does exists in /home/fawz/allback.

Thx for the atention.

C ya

Just Joined!
    Bythe way, one thing I forgot before someone sugests I'm stupid

I've made

#cd /mnt/win

after the mounting and then I made "#ls" and there were my windows. So I really think there is something wong or I'm missing some command to change the permission level or something else. %chmod could work here?

I don't have a Windows XP partition to test this out on, but the manpages for mount_ntfs(8 ) make it sound like write support has a number of limitations that may trip you up. In the CAVEATS section is actually says:
    This utility is primarily used for read access to an NTFS volume. See the WRITING section for details about writing to an NTFS volume.
    (emphasis mine.)

So the quick and dirty way to get it done may be to burn your data to a usb drive/cd/dvd and then boot into Windows to read the media and restore backups.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie View Post
    I don't have a Windows XP partition to test this out on, but the manpages for mount_ntfs(8 ) make it sound like write support has a number of limitations that may trip you up. In the CAVEATS section is actually says:

(emphasis mine.)

So the quick and dirty way to get it done may be to burn your data to a usb drive/cd/dvd and then boot into Windows to read the media and restore backups.
    Thx again anomie... yet it will be painfull with 20Gb... c ya . We need Bluray sauihasuashasuhiusahasas

You're right, that's a lot of data. I could probably help some more if I had a ntfs partition to play around with.

On that topic, check this out:
    Code:
    [hector@troy ~]$ cd /usr/ports && make search display=path name=ntfs
    Path:   /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-ntfs

Path:   /usr/ports/sysutils/ntfsprogs
    I read a little about both at freshports.org -- you might like to install and give a try (especially fusefs-ntfs; it sounds promising).

Good luck.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie View Post
    You're right, that's a lot of data. I could probably help some more if I had a ntfs partition to play around with.

On that topic, check this out:
    Code:
    [hector@troy ~]$ cd /usr/ports && make search display=path name=ntfs
    Path:   /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-ntfs

Path:   /usr/ports/sysutils/ntfsprogs
    I read a little about both at freshports.org -- you might like to install and give a try (especially fusefs-ntfs; it sounds promising).

Good luck.
    Thx Anomie, I will take a look and so whenever I have the results I will tell you here. Thx for the support always!

Linux Newbie
    I use ntfg-3g to access ntfs partitions.

If you want bsd files in windows
    FFS File System Driver for Windows