Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I installed FreeBSD 6.2 on my system yesterday. I've installed Gnome. I edited my /etc/ttys n made xdm 'ON'. I tried startx. Xterm started with the mouse pointing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FreeBSD 6.2:-Mouse disappears in Xterm/Gnome

Hi all,

I installed FreeBSD 6.2 on my system yesterday. I've installed Gnome. I edited my /etc/ttys n made xdm 'ON'. I tried startx. Xterm started with the mouse pointing in the middle. But as soon as I moved it the pointer disappeared. I could c it at the right hand top corner of the monitor.

I then edited /etc/rc.conf to have gdm_enable="YES". When I rebooted the system, GDM started but again the same problem. The mouse just disappears as soon as I move it. Whats wrong?

When installing it asks to test the mouse that time the operation of the mouse was ok. Even now in the terminal its working fine. Only in the GUI its having problem.

Kindly suggest what I can try.

Just Joined!

Problem Solved

Hi all,
    I dont know the logic behind what I did but the problem got solved.

I ran 'xorgconfig' again and chose 'Auto' instead of PS/2 this time. I had chosen device as /dev/sysmouse (for PS/2 selection) one time and then as /dev/psm0 (for PS/2 selection) the second time. None solved the problem. But this time I chose all defaults/Auto. When I rebooted the system, the mouse was functioning properly.

May be somebody will explain what exactly happened...

Thanx n Regards,
    SV