Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I seem to be plagued by a sort-of pop-up from "SafeCount.net". It slides in from the left on every new page here at linuxforums.org. It is soliciting for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris

Slide-in "survey" from safecount

Hi.

I seem to be plagued by a sort-of pop-up from "SafeCount.net". It slides in from the left on every new page here at linuxforums.org. It is soliciting for a survey.

If this is a kind of paid ad, then the administrators should be aware that it is very irritating and intrusive. I don't get it on other sites (e.g LQ),

I would have thought that you would have received an avalanche of complaints -- so perhaps it's just me ... cheers, drl

Safecount.net
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks for the feedback, drl. I run adblock so don't ever see it, but I'll make sure Core Wizard is aware of the problem.

Thanks again...
    oz

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, ozar.

The beast appears to have been banished.

Thanks for taking care of that ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Linux User
    I am aware of the existance of this, I have seen it once, and it is NOT a paid ad. We're not sure exactly what is causing this, and we're looking into it... I hate it just as much as you do...

Linux Guru
    There was some rumours over at slashdot a while back about some ISPs starting to insert advertisements into pages. They were sort of providing a proxy so that any site could have ads inserted.

If this is the case I am sure there are all sorts of legal questions to be asked. I know I would leave that ISP if they did that to my paid connection.

Community Leader
    We are actively investigating this. If anyone else is seeing this, please post here. If they stop for you, please post. We'll keep you updated.

Thank you

Community Leader

I'm going to assume these ads have stopped... we're still investigating, but I haven't seen other reports of these surveys. If someone else knows otherwise, please reply.

Thanks!