Find the answer to your Linux question:
I think I'm right in saying that there's a time limit after which you can't edit your posts any more (perhaps a week?). This makes sense up to a point, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Editing thread titles

I think I'm right in saying that there's a time limit after which you can't edit your posts any more (perhaps a week?). This makes sense up to a point, but it causes a bit of a problem when you have a problem that slowly develops: this thread doesn't really bear any resemblance to the title I gave it when it started, but because that was 4 weeks ago I can't edit the original post. And as far as I know, editing the first post is the only way to edit the title.

I suspect that this may be a problem for several people, which is a pain because there may well be people who would be able to solve a particular thread, but don't look at it because the title suggests its got nothing to do with their area of expertise... The only way round it that I can see would be to start a new thread, which is of course very messy and A Bad Thing. Any ideas?

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, Giles

I don't think regular users can change thread titles, and Core Wizard is the only one that can change permissions allowing users to do so. I'm sure he will give this matter consideration once he sees your thread.

In the interim, you can PM a moderator or trusted penguin requesting a title change, or you can use the "report post" button in the lower-left corner of the post and request a title change.

Thanks for the feedback...

oz
    oz

OK, thanks very much for the tips. I was put off using the "report" button by the message at the bottom of the screen you get when you use it
    Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027