Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have seen a few wiki projects recently and it seems like a really cool system. perhaps something like it for our tutorials section would be cool instead of just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

linuxforums wiki!

I have seen a few wiki projects recently and it seems like a really cool system. perhaps something like it for our tutorials section would be cool instead of just having them in the "forum" style. My reason for thinkin this is that when I first clicked ont he tutorials link I was not expecting to come to just annother forum thread.
    I feel that "wiki" is a better system for maintaining tutorial type documents than a forum is. One benefit/drawback of the wiwi system is that your information can be overwritten.
    Perhaps a team of volenteers who have write permission to such a wiki (only volenteers who have posted say.. 100 posts would be considerd) would be the best way to do it.

Wiki is open source information at its best the way I see it.
    Here is an excelent example of wiki in action:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

And a description of "wiki":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

And here is the "mediawiki" software homepage:

http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/

Yes! I think a linuxforum wiki is a great idea! Whether people will use it effectively is questionable -but at least some of the people would use it, which would cut down on a lot of unnecessary forum noise.

Well, as long as it can be moderated effectively....

Linux Engineer
    Well,. as far as I know it is something that other 'linux forums' don't have. As far as moderation goes I really don't think that would be a problem what with the current moderators as well as my sugestion of only 100 post posters having rw access while all others just have read access. perhaps it should be open too all users regardless of post count. at least to start with that is.
    www.wikipedia.org has no such restrictions and it is very rare that someone posts something offensive and when they do it is removed within the hour (just like htis forum:))

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    Well,. as far as I know it is something that other 'linux forums' don't have.
    linux questions started a wiki a few months ago..

I've seen quite a few MediaWiki wikis, and they look sort of nice.

Whether people will use it effectively is questionable -but at least some of the people would use it
    Well, I think a nice Wiki will in it self generate some traffic. And as variant says, the forum style howto/tut section is a bit of a trun off (no offence ). the forum/post style howto section maybe be a little hard to browse - where as a wiki could have a "propper" index page with propper sections/topics (if you understand my fuzzy description). For what I've seen wikis can be a little more flexible/structures than a usual post, after all BBCode is a bit restricted, eg iirc wiki can do tables - BBC can't.

the idea with "a few" volutars, is quite good imo, as it would reduce the risc of a possible abuse (even thought all chagnes are logged - so destroyed pages can be recovered/restored), and it would be easier to manage - simlpy ban an abusers user account, instead of banning an IP/subnet.
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

I don't know how plausible this might be: perhaps a system where anyone can submit, then mods approve (or edit, if necessary).

Linux Engineer
    well.. regardless of who else has one.. its still an excelelnt idea imho (well it was my idea ;)) but i really do think it could work out well for not only improving the comunity and providing a service but allso by increasing traffic, as scientica sugested might happen.

Linux Guru
    There are a few different bits of Wiki software, is there any one in particular that people like/prefer most?

i like the idea of a wiki, but i also like variant's idea of people with 100+ posts having r/w access. My addition would be that somebody would have to screen the eligible people before giving them r/w access, making sure that their overall contribution has been a positive one. Just a thought, but the wiki idea sounds good!
    -lakerdonald

I'd suggest the media wiki suggested by variant ( http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/ )
    from what I've seen it looks nice (haven't tried(read:dl+intsall) it thought)
    It looks really nice to me
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast