Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but if I reply to a thread and my answer takes more than - for example - 15 minutes, and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I get logged out

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but if I reply to a thread and my answer takes more than - for example - 15 minutes, and I then try to 'Submit', I find I've been automatically logged out.

It's annoying because I then need to go back to a previously cached page, copy what I wrote, log in again, relocate the thread I'm replying to and paste my reply in there.

Is there any way of increasing the default log-in time, to take into account longer replies?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I'm also having similar kind of problem.
    while repling to a thread,sometimes,what i wrote is lost..i have to re-write the same stuff again in gedit rather than using text area reply box given by linuxforum and then post as reply.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, fingal

Only Core Wizard has the permissions needed to make that change, so maybe he can respond directly to your inquiry.

In the interim, if I plan to work up any longer than average post/reply, I use a text editor to create a draft of the message, and only when it's done do I then copy it to the forums message box. Doing that has saved me a few premature logouts.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I find that if I check "Remember me" when I log in, this doesn't happen
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I find that if I check "Remember me" when I log in, this doesn't happen
    Yes, that option works very well. You just have to remember to log out when your done if you don't want to be logged in on your return visit.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Hi, fingal

Only Core Wizard has the permissions needed to make that change, so maybe he can respond directly to your inquiry.

In the interim, if I plan to work up any longer than average post/reply, I use a text editor to create a draft of the message, and only when it's done do I then copy it to the forums message box. Doing that has saved me a few premature logouts.
    I also had this problem a couple of time. Can't we have a option in our UserCP, where we specify the login time? Is it so essential (securitywise) to be logged out after a specified period????

Greetings,
    Mazer
    I was seduced by SUSE 5.1.
    Registered Linux User #451562

oz
    forum.guy
    I think part of it has to do with statistics.

Some people would stay logged in forever if allowed to do so. Forcing a logout after a determined amount of time helps to keep up with how many are logged in at any given time.

Maybe Core Wizard will answer with more info/details.
    oz