Find the answer to your Linux question:
I often see a lot of redundant junk on this forum. Some of it has to do with networks and other special features. I often think if someone were to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What qualifies as a sticky?

I often see a lot of redundant junk on this forum. Some of it has to do with networks and other special features. I often think if someone were to create a thread about this and sticky at the top, then a lot of these problems would be solved.

If not that, then what about current knowledge about a distro change? I've been messing with Ubuntu 7.10, and I've already caught onto some of the changes and hacks for it. Would giving valuable advice that would answer many recurrent threads be qualified for sticky status?

Or could just ignore it for site traffic, post counts, and so forth. Why not...

Sticky threads get that way when a mod finds a thread particularly useful. In my case I tend to sticky threads that I keep coming back to just for convenience sake.

A sticky will not keep redundant questions from being asked, however. The "All New Users Read This First" thread is a good example of that. Even though the "which distro?" question and a number of other common new user questions are answered in that sticky, we still get regular threads from users who either ignore it or just don't know it's there for whatever reason.

If you have a collection of tweaks you've come across for Ubuntu, put them in a thread in the Ubuntu section and we'll consider it for stickying.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants