Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sometimes a thread is closed without any mention of who closes it and why. Now I can generally guess, and I often agree. It is not my point to criticize ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Closed? Open question to the mods.

Sometimes a thread is closed without any mention of who closes it and why. Now I can generally guess, and I often agree. It is not my point to criticize policy. Stronger! Due to the policy and atmosphere the mods set this is one board I enjoy very much.

Still... I would appreciate it if the reason of a closure where posted, so we know who and why.

How do the mods feel about that??
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, Freston

Many threads get closed (or sometimes deleted) due to subject matter.

Others get closed because they are very old and have been bumped back to the top, usually by new members having the same problem as the original poster, or in some cases offering a very belated fix. We generally close anything that's brought back to the top and is older than 1 year, but there are exceptions. Some threads get closed because they are announcements, and nothing more.

A few threads get closed because they are duplicate topics by the same poster, but a message is usually attached to those explaining the closure to the OP. On occasion, threads get closed because a particular problem has been solved. Sometimes, posters will PM an admin (or use report post button) asking that their own threads be closed.

There are probably a few other reasons that I've missed and if I should think of any, I'll post back. In the interim, maybe some of the others will offer up some reasons for thread closures.

Thanks for the feedback.
    oz

Well, as I said, it's no criticism I intend. Link dumping is another one of the reasons I see threads I get closed. And rightfully so.

It's not that I disagree with threads I see decided to get closed. I would just like to see why, when it happens. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't.

You know, sometimes I really really really really disagree until I find the OP is from 2004 or something. My question is rather, can you just say 'link dumping' or 'old thread' or 'duplicate topic' when you close a thread?

Again, this is an open question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Thanks for taking my post in the right intend. I mean feedback and nothing else. I can take no for an answer.
    As with all non-native speakers, I always fear my posts get misinterpreted... and I can become harsh sometimes without knowing it. Sometimes I check, and sometimes I don't. I've not encountered it before ever - but I would like to know who to address _if_ something went wrong. We all make mistakes sometimes.

That's the only significance to me...

I think the only time a moderator doesn't bother explaining why something is closed off is during a linkjack. There's little point, it's usually a long dead thread - otherwise we wouldn't close it. It's worth noting that sometimes contact has been made via PM rather than in public to save face for the user in question. Not every broken rule is done maliciously.

With that said very occasionally something that is very obviously due to be removed (extreme trolls, extremely aggressive tone) will be removed without direct reference to it when a warning has already been made.

If you are ever concerned about moderation that has occured feel free to contact any moderator to discuss it.

Thanks for your replies! I may not have fully understood each and every decision in the past, but luckily I don't have to. You're doing a great job keeping this a friendly and helpful forum.