Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have notice that in this forum some threads are closed happily, even if there's the chance that someone else could still contribute to the thread. Why is that? http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...tuid-root.html ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

[SOLVED] Thread misteriously closed

I have notice that in this forum some threads are closed happily, even if there's the chance that someone else could still contribute to the thread. Why is that?

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...tuid-root.html

Using that as a example. The solution provided is to use xterm suid, which I think is wrong, and a security issue. In any case, you need to setuid pt_chown, and not xterm, but I don't like that either. There must be another solution, and a "go to redhat and ask them" is preferable to this "setuid xterm" and thread closed. Let's setuid the whole system then...

Why are some threads locked without even checking that they have been properly solved?

I just feel curious... I don't care about that thread and I have nothign to do with it. But I'd like to know why this happens, or if I am unaware of some strange rule.

oz
    forum.guy
    The mods/admins will generally close any thread that is brought back up from the depths of the forum if it is more than six months old. However, if the new post is asking a question, the post is either pruned off and made into a new thread, or left attached to the old thread if it's not easily converted into a thread of it's own.

Edit: Please see this thread for more info on how the forums are setup to work:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/fee...ng-forums.html
    Last edited by oz; 02-26-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added link to forum usage FAQ
    oz

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    The mods/admins will generally close any thread that is brought back up from the depths of the forum if it is more than one year old. However, if the new post is asking a question, the post is either pruned off and made into a new thread, or left attached to the old thread if it's not easily converted into a thread of it's own.
    Thanks for the response, and sorry for posting in the wrong section for this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    In some forms I have noticed a feature that allows the creator to mark their thread as "[ SOLVED ]" (it just adds that to the name) to let people know not to go there if they want to help, or to attract attention to people looking for a "sure fire" answer. Perhaps this could be implemented? I like the rating system though BTW
    When I find myself burried in errors, Windows Help appears to me; speaking words of wisdom, Reboot!

Quote Originally Posted by Themer View Post
    In some forms I have noticed a feature that allows the creator to mark their thread as "[ SOLVED ]" (it just adds that to the name) to let people know not to go there if they want to help, or to attract attention to people looking for a "sure fire" answer. Perhaps this could be implemented? I like the rating system though BTW
    We've talked about this in the past, but I seem to remember our forum software (vBulletin) not supporting it. I could be wrong.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Exclamation Please reopen the Thread above

On the Thread http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...tuid-root.html
    I want to answer this:
    The error message was: pt_chown: needs to be installed setuid `root'
    The message should be followed.
    On my debian lenny, pt_chown is suid root by default, not xterm.
    Code:
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/pt_chown /usr/bin/xterm
    -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 9620 2008-07-29 07:21 /usr/lib/pt_chown
    -rwxr-sr-x 1 root utmp 319344 2008-04-21 02:52 /usr/bin/xterm
    Best regards.

In the case of this thread, the original post was over three years ago and is a Red Hat thread. Also neither of the original posters are active on the forum anymore and that thread has given us problems with spam before if left open.