Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by bucky f ads are required then why not find an unobtrusive means to an end... I find that rather comical. Surely the whole purpose of ads is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    f ads are required then why not find an unobtrusive means to an end...
    I find that rather comical. Surely the whole purpose of ads is to get people to look at them in the hope that they will then buy something. An unobtrusive ad is no good for the advertiser!

This crap is an inevitable side effect of capitalism. As people migrate from newspapers to TV to the Internet, so ads migrate with them. And as people get used to the usual pictorial pop-ups and learn to take no notice of them, so the advertisers invent new ways of grabbing our attention. I hate it but what's the use of ranting? It won't change anything.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Just want to add that it's possible these ads might appear new to some if Core Wizard turned them off for a while, then enabled them again, but I assure you all that they are not new.

Like I said earlier, I've never seen them, so wouldn't know if they got turned off for a while.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Well....I have never seen them before either...so they are new to me and new to the poster of the thread..and you have never seen them.....If I am just a lier then I am lieing about the fact I can not log out also and I am a noob ranter and troll...I do not need this site any more than I need linux questions which I refuse to visit..I do not care what this site does but wanted to clearify that this is new to me also and that I believe that ads can be dealt with in a more user friendly manner...I will not change my opinion and will no longer post here

Well....I have never seen them before either...so they are new to me and new to the poster of the thread..and you have never seen them.....If I am just a lier then I am lieing about the fact I can not log out also and I am a noob ranter and troll..
    No one is calling anyone a liar. Ozar and myself just happen to use script blocking plug-ins with our web browsers, hence why script-based advertisements don't show up for us. All ozar was saying is that he's not seen the ads in question, not that they don't exist.

I do not need this site any more than I need linux questions which I refuse to visit..I do not care what this site does but wanted to clearify that this is new to me also and that I believe that ads can be dealt with in a more user friendly manner...I will not change my opinion and will no longer post here
    Best of luck on your own. Sorry you feel that way.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

oz
    forum.guy
    I do not care what this site does but wanted to clearify that this is new to me also and that I believe that ads can be dealt with in a more user friendly manner...I will not change my opinion and will no longer post here
    I thought it was already clear that they were new to you and clear that they aren't new to this website. Furthermore, nobody has asked you to change your opinion about anything.

Best of luck finding the website that's exactly what you want it to be.
    oz

Just Joined!

redundent lickspittle

LOL..the sarcasm could be cut with a knife there ozar.I have to post..I am not mad or looking for a site that is just the way I want it..and do not expect any thing I suggest to be implimented..I am simply expressing a general feeling about these particular ads which have been reintroduced...and evidently previously removed for a reason.

if dialog of this nature is not really of interest I see no reason to post here with ideas or even to clarify that I agree or am experiencing the same thing which is or not desireable.My guess is that the original poster was satisfied with an ad blocker and I should never have posted..as the issue was solved..

my concerns regarding this site stem from a desire to see it mantained as a simple and informative source. I am aware that ads are required and you may do as you see fit naturally..it is not the only source but currently a good one. however as I mentioned should the increase of ads get like LQ I can not imagine any desire to be a member.

I understand that ad blockers can solve the current issue but how many will I have to add in the future to simple open a page..This only to say that the internet in general goes in the direction we allow it to go in..if no one care then it will just snowball out of control. but currently I could start my own basic forum if need be so one flies out of control and another may take it's place..thus the people get a little of something they want..I have no intention of opening a form at the moment.and this site is not snowballing anywhere..it's just dialog..

perhaps the whole misunderstanding is due to my inability to type text that is actually understood
    The reality is I should never have posted to this thread in the first place...and thus I will not do it again because this is rediculous..
    cheers

Personally, I hadn't seen them either... but that may be because I wasn't paying attention, or because they were enabled again for some reason. I just want to say that this thread has actually turned out to beneficial for me because now I have installed No-Script. Now I don't get annoyed by any type of adds unless I disable it. Seeing as this solves my problem, I am fine with it.

Adverts are a necessary evil in the world of Internet forums, and I'm just glad that there is a work around for them that allows me to enjoy web-surfing, and reading here, without having to constantly maneuver around links to other sites or links to adds.

So, in short, I would like to thank hazel for starting this thread, as the responses given led me to a very helpful add-on that I now use at home, and at work.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

One last(?) point on this.
    I have Adblock and NoScript and I thought they did different things. I know NoScript does more than Adblock so maybe I just need NoScript.
    I might give that a try.
    Pete

Yes. NoScript is enough and you dont have to install Adblock.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    I'd personally recommend anyone to try both and decide for yourself what you need/want. Both are free to download and quick to install.

If you should decide you don't need or want either of them, feel free to read and click any ads that might interest you. Doing so definitely helps to support the site.

It's all pretty simple, really.
    oz

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast