Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I have tried both and NoScript is much better than Adblock. I would recommend using NoScript only. But as both are free, one can try both and decide him/herself....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I have tried both and NoScript is much better than Adblock. I would recommend using NoScript only. But as both are free, one can try both and decide him/herself.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thanks for the confirmation. I've used Firefox long before I came over to Linux and have had both add-ons for most of that time.
    I've only now discovered the similarity and have uninstalled Adblock.
    Pete

oz
    forum.guy
    I personally find NoScript to be too much work and a bit of a pain in the backside.

Adblock Plus (not regular Adblock) on the other hand is simple because you install it and forget about it. It updates itself automatically and you never have to give it a second thought.

Lots of users are running both from what I've read in various reviews.

Hazel, I hope we've given you some good options to consider, here.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Please! I did not start this thread as a troll. I hate flame wars and I don't want the guilt of starting one. I just wanted to register a beef about this apparently new problem and see if there was a solution to it.

Using Adblock solves it for me, so thanks for introducing me to it. I can see Bucky's point; we shouldn't have to use browser plug-ins just to keep ourselves from being swamped by ads but leaving the forum just for that seems like overkill to me. I like it here; it's usually a friendly place to hang out.

I just hope the admen don't find something that overrides Adblock and NoScript because I'd hate to get involved in an arms race with them.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I just hope the admen don't find something that overrides Adblock and NoScript because I'd hate to get involved in an arms race with them.
    I've been told that some websites actually block users that are running adblocking software. I don't know if that's the case or not, but if it is true, it's extremely likely that I didn't want to see their website anyway.

Glad you are enjoying Adblock. Just curious... are you running regular Adblock, or Adblock Plus? There is a difference.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I do not understand what has happened here. I do not want to post to this thread, but had not intended to leave the site entirely unless the ads became completely intolerable. as ozar pointed out blocking ads does nothing to support the site and all ads are implimented by the site..so it is fitting to suggest in the suggestions forum if a style is not inviteing..what is the purpose of the forum otherwise. and if enough members post there lack of interest and it is noted by the site then compromise is made where possible...if the site is not interested in anything the members have to say them the result is loss of members in cases where no compromise is found. it seems my posts are misinterpreted and not of interest to anyone so I guess I will leave the site Entirely and delete the link. This site is currently a good source for linux related information and I have suggested it to many people and do not mind saying that I have warned against choice of linux questions in support of this forum. however I do not fit into the linux community although I like linux and for this reason appear to have no choice..fairwell
    cheers

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    as ozar pointed out blocking ads does nothing to support the site and all ads are implimented by the site..
    No, I never pointed out that blocking ads does nothing to support the site. I did say that those who find ads of interest to them can click them and that doing so helps to support the site, if that's what you mean.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I did not say you "said" it, I said you "pointed it out"
    since you advocate the use of ad blocker to remove ads from sight, and do not see them, you will evidently not be clicking any, nor will anyone else. I can see them but do not like the underlined ads in posts and find that I do read the banners and side ads although I have not clicked any. your mention of the fact that clicking them will support the site pointed out that not seeing them deminishes support for the site, as one will never see anything of interest. so I advocte not useing adblock and telling the site to stop useing this type of ad. Blocking is just a bandaid for a deeper wound. If I am to say I like the site, I mean the site, not the sudo view of it. No one NEEDS this site or the internet for that matter, we just WANT it. our desire should not be bound in rags, but a shineing example of ingenuity...BLABLABLA..well I guess I'm finished reading here, so long link

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I did not say you "said" it, I said you "pointed it out"
    No, I didn't point it out. Apparently, you took what I said to mean that. Nobody is trying to talk you into using Adblock, or any other software that you don't want to use, and nobody is trying to talk you into clicking any ads.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Well ozar it appears you are the reason I am leaving this site and I do not think you or anyone could force me to use anything or click anything...but you have effectively covered your ass I guess..it is an argument of the meaning of " pointed" I am just not interested in it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast