Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I know the site need ads to finance it and by now I'm so used to pictorial pop-ups that I don't notice them any more. But these bright green "double-underlinings" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Something new and irritating has appeared

I know the site need ads to finance it and by now I'm so used to pictorial pop-ups that I don't notice them any more. But these bright green "double-underlinings" are very intrusive. They lure you by looking like links in a wiki or those useful definitions of terms that you find in Windows help files, but when you go anywhere near them an advert pops up. Do other people dislike these as much as I do? I know one thing: I would never buy something from anyone who annoyed me as much as this!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I use the Adblock Plus add-on with Firefox so I don't see any of them unless I'm on a computer at work with MSIE.
    Pete

Same here. I am using NoScript and none of Advert appear in FireFox.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Something new and irritating has appeared
    Hazel, are you sure they've just now appeared? I think those have been on the site for a year, or more now. I've never seen them myself, but have heard about them from other members for at least that long.
    oz

Yeah, they have been here for a while. I see them when I disable NoScript. Or when I check with another browser.

They irritate me very much because they remind me of some malware I once had (before-Linux) that effectively did the same. But, on the up side.... they are blockable.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

I have disabled NoScripts and that Green, double-underlinings appeared. Those are really very intrusive. If you are using FireFox then I would suggest you to install NoScript.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Well, I just installed Adblock and that seems to have done away with them. I'm glad I'm not the only person who finds this sort of thing objectionable. But I swear I didn't notice them until a few days ago.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Well, I just installed Adblock and that seems to have done away with them.
    Oh, that's why I'm not seeing them!

I don't really understand how anyone can surf the web these days without it.

Hope you enjoy your new extension.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I did not see these until a few days ago..and have visited enough times to know they are new and not a year old..What is disturbing is that it is essential to ad a program to a program to visit without being malled. if ads are required then why not find an unobtrusive means to an end...with the adding of anti ad I am giving into the whole box of crap...linux forums may well just join linux questions as a useless site full of ads and the name linux...mark my words...it is a matter of time..how unfortuneate that everyone is giving in to the wasteland....in the end what value does the internet have....why not just have a link page full of ads for sponsers...if everyone is known to block them at least the sponsers have a chance..and banners and side ads are often viewed but not in the way. this is naturally just considered a rant of no value....so why do I do it...I will like or leave...
    cheers

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I did not see these until a few days ago..and have visited enough times to know they are new and not a year old..
    They were being complained about in this thread 18 months ago, so I wouldn't exactly call that new:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/com...vertising.html
    oz

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast