Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sometimes I don't want any kind of support. I just want to know whether OSX has 'dd' on board, or whether the eee PC supports (PXE) netboot. You know? Simple ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Get the facts - trivia

Sometimes I don't want any kind of support. I just want to know whether OSX has 'dd' on board, or whether the eee PC supports (PXE) netboot.

You know? Simple yes/no questions. Not like "does the Ultra Thinbook 28373-r A32b work under aLinux?", but mere factual questions such as "can I use these same SSH arguments under openSolaris?" or "what is /etc/rc.d/rc.blablabla called under Debian?". Things people may know from their experience, and are easily answered without discussion. Trivia!

I see no real outlet for these things. More often or not, they are not easily googelable or are not important enough to start their own thread in one of the existing forums.

Now it may be that my own inhibitions stand in the way of asking what I want to know, but I'd like a 'Get the facts - trivia' forum as outlet. I have no idea how to factualize (wow, my spell checker agrees that is an English word!) such an endeavor so that this is clear and usable, as well as distinctive from the newbie forum.
    Not that I can't post in the newbie forum (being an enthusiast and all ) but I feel that one is more home to questions like "I just installed Ubuntu, all went well but now my screen is black" (halfway during boot, wanna bet? ). You know? Real problems.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks for the suggestion, Freston.

I'm not certain that I understand what you are saying, or asking.

Do you mean something like a Knowledge Database, or a Hardware Database, or perhaps a combination of the two? Or are you referring to something completely different?
    oz

I think you might been on the same track, oz... It looks like Freston is describing either a knowledge base or an FAQ page.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I believe he is saying he would like to propose a "Linux Trivia" thread or message of the day type of thing. Maybe something like where you login to the forums and there's a little nugget of hidden OS information on your screen. I'm might be wayyy off base here too.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Normally I search as much as possible about questions I have. That's also because I learn a great deal about the system by searching in areas where I'm not so familiar.

But sometimes I have questions that are on one hand too easy to post about and on the other hand too cumbersome and uninteresting to Google about. Such as "does OSX have Netcat on board?" Or that sort of thing.

But posting about this made me later realize that what I have in mind, a place to dump trivia questions, will be [expressive language] to moderate. Because all these small threads about little nothings tend to derail quickly. I mean... ask any random Linux forum "why is NTFS better then EXT3?" and you will see the added value of good moderators

So, pending a better outlined plan, I retract my suggestion...
    Thanks for your responses

*looks around disorganized* Now I am sure I have seen people lock their own threads... but how??
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    So, pending a better outlined plan, I retract my suggestion...
    Thanks for your responses

*looks around disorganized* Now I am sure I have seen people lock their own threads... but how??
    Hi, Freston

There is a "thread tools" link at the top of this thread that you can use to mark your own threads "solved", and it locks the thread. You can also use it to "unsolve" the thread if you need to reopen it.
    oz